041

(In between Season 2 and 3)
Three weeks later

I sat, staring at the small tv in the living room. It was hidden in one of those cupboard things because according to Elijah, it didn't go with the room. Plus, although it was pretty peaceful compared to the past year, everyone had too much to do, rather than sit and watch tv.

I was watching some film I'd found on a random channel about a killer shark. I was lazily laying on the sofa, an open grimoire on my lap as I watched it.

I turned my attention to the door as Elijah made his way through it. I looked back to the tv as he stopped beside the sofa, "Watching television when you should be looking for a way to help Hayley?"

I glanced to Elijah, "I've been looking for weeks, so has Freya. I haven't slept for two days, Elijah. Excuse me if I need a break."

"A break will not return Hayley to her human form." Elijah stressed.

I sat up, "Don't you think I know that? But if there was a fix, we would have found it by now."

Elijah sat on the arm on the sofa, his head bowing, "I can never forgive Klaus for this."

"I know." I replied, placing the grimoire beside me, "I haven't spoken to him properly for a few days. But he's your brother, you're going to forgive him some time."

Elijah was silent for a moment before he stood back up, "Keep looking for a spell, Cassie."

He grabbed the remote from the coffee table and turned the tv off. I furrowed my brows, "Hey! I was watching that."

"No more breaks." Elijah stated.

I sighed, sitting back on the sofa in a huff. I grabbed the grimoire and began looking through it. Elijah reached the door before he came to a halt. He stood there for a moment but I ignored it and looked back down to the grimoire.

"Do you hear that?" He asked, his voice low in curiosity.

"Hear what?" I questioned, not having much interest in the matter. My eyes scanned the pages of the grimoire, taking in all the text and the diagrams.

"A heartbeat." Elijah replied.

I glanced up at him, he was now facing me, "Do you not realise that I'm in the room?"

Elijah shook his head, "It isn't yours."

I sighed, "Well, Rebekah left weeks ago. So, it's probably Klaus, Freya, Marcel or an intruder."

"But there's no footsteps. Just a..." He stopped himself and began walking closer to me.

"Look, Elijah, if you want me to keep searching for a spell, you're gonna have to back off." I replied, flicking through the grimoire.

"It's coming from you." Elijah said, not listening to what I was saying.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned, furrowing my brows at him.

"Cassie, just listen. Listen closely." Elijah replied, his face full of confusion.

I exhaled a frustrated sigh but caved in. I closed the grimoire and placed it on the table. I sat in silence, listening. I could hear Elijah's heartbeat. My heart beat. And then, I heard it. Another heartbeat, it was small, it was close. It was coming from...