044

I sat in the living room, a blanket over my lap as I stared at Klaus, who was standing near the window telling me Lucien's backstory, "My memory of Lucien goes back to a time when our family was happy. Things were good or, as good as things could be as vampires hiding in plain sight.

Everyone in Marseilles was held in the thrall of the Count's arrogant son Tristan and his sister, the Lady Aurora. In hindsight, I could have done more to prevent what was to follow. But then, even an endless life cannot be played in reverse. Lucien seemed to have a desire for Aurora and wrote his affections in a note, that he asked me to give to her in secret."

"And did you?" I questioned. Elijah was pacing by the fireplace as he listened.

"Hoping to dissuade Lucien, I told him Aurora would not accept his note. I thought the matter settled." Klaus replied, "How could I tell him that Aurora was already in love with another? But Lucien was a hopeless romantic. In his desperation, he sought her out and, given the circumstance, Lucien qualifies as both friend and foe, and according to Freya's prophecy -- "

Elijah cut him off, " -- you are to beware both friend and foe. But, let us not forget family, Niklaus."

"Lucien's two out of three, I say we put him down. Just like old times." Klaus replied, with a smile to his brother.

Elijah frowned, "Just like old times? Brother, I wonder who among our family do you suppose has the greatest predilection for betrayal?"

"Wait, wait, wait." I interupted them both, holding my arms in their directions to gesture them to stop. I looked to Klaus, "This Aurora, she was in love with you, Klaus?"

Klaus shrugged as an answer. I furrowed my brows at him, "And you didn't think telling Lucien was a good idea? You just broke his heart by lying to him?"

"You're quick to defend him, when a minute ago you were all for me ripping his heart out." Klaus replied.

I scowled at him, "I'm trying to understand the situation. He was your friend and he told you he liked her and yet you still went behind his back?"

"I can not help who she had feelings for, Cassie. You of all people should know that." Klaus frowned.

I frowned back at him, slightly annoyed. My phone buzzed. I pulled it out to see a message from Vincent;

To: You
From: Vincent

Kinney's got Lucien at the police station, meet me and Cami there.

I threw the blanket off and began to head towards the door, "I've got to go."

Klaus vamp ran infront of me, making me take a step backwards, "Where?"

"Wherever I want, Klaus." I told him. I tried to get past him but he blocked to doorway. I exhaled a sigh, "Move."

"I don't want you going anywhere alone, especially when you're..." He trailed off, glancing down at my stomach.

"Pregnant, Klaus. It's a word, not a disease." I snarled, "And I don't need a bodyguard, I'm capable of looking after myself."

"Niklaus, step aside. Give her space, she doesn't need you constantly breathing down her neck." Elijah said, walking closer to the pair of us who were standing inches apart. Klaus hesitated before he turned his body, creating a gap. I glanced at Elijah as if to say thank you before walking out the room.