CHAPTER NINETEEN

"It's closer than I thought," Boruto said, looking up at the gigantic stone wall. Akeboshi's prediction that they would get to their destination in two days had been correct. Because once they climb the wall, they are there already. The Green Lands. Sarada stepped beside him, looking up as well while Akeboshi and Shizuka were talking behind them.

They had been closer ever since Akeboshi recovered from the poison and Boruto could only guess that there was something more between them. He was glad about that and happy for him. Akeboshi needed someone to hold him together from bouncing off.

"We are finally here." She said it like she didn't believe it. Neither did him apparently because he wished he had more time and shivered at the thought of being locked up forever. He didn't want to, but he had to. For the sake of all being on earth. That alone made his decision that no matter how terrible it was going to be, he would do it anyway. Himawari, his new future sibling needed to grow in a safe world where someone like Oro wouldn't destroy everything. His eyes narrowed and though he knew he shouldn't, he did anyway. He tangled his fingers with Sarada's. Wondering, would Sarada ever give up to Mitsuki's charm? And forget about him? He hopes so. There was no need to remember him if it would cause her pain. Their gaze met.

"This is it." She said weakly.

"This is it." He said in return. It felt like something is bursting out of place in his chest. Pressing him down draining him out of his energy. And he thought, for the last time. This is it. And put his arms around Sarada.

Behind them, Akeboshi and Shizuka stepped back to give some privacy. Knowing it was their last morning together, it was their last chance to say goodbye as well. Shizuka held Akeboshi's hand, secretly admiring the boy.

"It's sad isn't it?" Shizuka said.

"It is. I'm glad things turned out alright for Boruto. He's a good guy." Akeboshi mentioned and leaned on a tree. His relationship and Shizuka had grown when they lived together in the small cottage. There, he felt lost and out of direction, knowing what he could do but had no desire of doing it. He was depressed. Only when Shizuka had forced her way to stuff his face with fish he felt that spark of life in him again. It was funny too if he thinks about it now.

Boruto lets go of Sarada but still held her close. They stood face to face and he could make out every beautiful line of her perfect eyelashes, the curves of her eyes, the depths of her black eyes, her high cheeks, dark pink lips, and delicate nose. Her hair fell down to her face and he moved to push them away. He couldn't help it, pinning them on the back of her ears felt so natural.

"I'll miss you." She whispered. He brushed her cheek bones with the tips of his fingers. Feeling the soft texture of her silk like skin. He smiled. "I'm ready."

"I'm not." She smiled bitterly. She turned to Akeboshi and Mitsuki who were chatting under a tree far from them.

"Akeboshi!" She called out. Quickly he turned to them and mouthed, "Ready?"

"Ready."

From the distance, Boruto could see something round coming their way. Hitting the wall just above them and fell down with a loud thud. They walked closer and saw it was a ball shaped present, wrapped and tied with black leather. Blood dripped down from it and a piece of paper on the side of it. He took it.

"It's from Oro," Boruto announced. Shizuka's face paled as if she knew what was inside the present.

"What does it say?" Sarada peeked and read the message out loud, "I'll kill you myself." She said. They all exchanged a look and after a few minutes of silence, Akeboshi dared to open the present. He used his foot to push it to the side. The wrapper opened on its own, revealing what looks like... Shizuka threw her face away in discuss and horror. Sarada walked back and it seemed that only Akeboshi and Boruto could stand to see it. It was a pile of peeled skin. From feet to head, with his and hers hair. They left the genitals exposed as well, both female and male.

"Kuroy. Yuri." Akeboshi said. "So she found out. I wonder how she did..."

"It was my fault!" Shizuka cried. Suddenly all eyes were on her. She held onto one of the branches for balance, shocked. Akeboshi stood motionlessly, staring at her with an accusing look. Boruto could only imagine what the girl did. How something as terrible could be her fault. From both of them, Sarada found her voice first. "What do you mean it's your fault? What did you do?" That question. Boruto thought. It was one he hated so much. Back then when he was around fourteen. He was a trouble maker then. Most of the time he made troubles, small ones that he made out of his stupidity and arrogance. But from that every time something went wrong it was that question, "What did you do?" Or "What did you do this time?" thought it wasn't his fault at all.

"She visited me and asked me what he was planning to do. I should have lied but... but she threatened me."

"So you just gave them away!?" Akeboshi was furious. His body shook from breathing in anger. She shook her head and slumped down by the tree. Sarada moved to Boruto's side, "You have to go, now." She pulled him away from the scene.

"Go go go, I'll take care of this Boruto, just go!" She yelled. He dashed up the wall and ran to the Green Lands. He felt the pressure of the barrier protecting the Green Lands and begged his way in. Akeboshi had explained to him that they couldn't take him inside because the land itself was like a living thing. It would only let whoever wanted to enter in if they find their reasons fit. He had thought it would be hard for him, but it went well. He finally stepped on the ground and looked back. He took a sharp breath. There was nothing but blue sky and clouds, birds flying. Almost as if he had entered a whole different world. Logically, he could still see Sarada and the others down there. Their voices, their small bodies, their presence.

"It feels like they were never there." Suddenly someone said. He turned so fast he felt his head felt dizzy, suddenly self-aware and so alone, he felt in peace. The man who said it was an old man. He wore an orange overused robe that touched the ground. His eyes were two lines and his beard nearly covered his entire face.

"Yes, it is nice when you have no burden. When you let the world give you worries and you could manage it. Knowing that nothing of it matters. Do you know why?"

"No," Boruto said.

"Well, because all you're suffering, your sadness, your happiness... it is temporary. All you can do is do good and be grateful that you can live, Come... I sensed your troubles... maybe I can help." He walked in the woods where fireflies and crickets made their music. With one last glance and good luck wish, he followed the man.

***

Sarada pulled Akeboshi and Shizuka back. A bomb exploded just a few steps away from them, shaking the ground, creating a thick layer of dust around them. Shizuka coughed under Akeboshi, trying to breathe. "She's here already."

"Then we won't stand a chance. We have to run." Akeboshi insisted. He looked messy and harmless that moment. His hair standing in all direction. A cut under his right eye from the explosion. She too had a cut on her tight. Sarada looked up at the wall in pain and saw Boruto had left already. "You're sure this is enough to protect him?"

"To give us a fighting chance? Yes. But not juts us against them. Oro knows me too well for me to be able to give a meaningful attack. Shizuka is..." Useless. She knew what he wanted to say. "You know. If we want to run, it's now." He dragged Shizuka and pulled her arm to run when a sword flew and cut their path. Just an inch away from Akeboshi's throat.

From between the rising dust, three figures came out. Two boys and a girl, walking slowly while dragging their swords. As their figure became clear under the morning light, Sarada's stomach felt sick. She was guessing they were Kuroy and his gang because their skinless body was wrapped with white linen or maybe it was white. Now it was soaked wet with blood. Not enough to cover their body entirely that blood dripped down, making a path. The smell of fresh blood invaded their noses.

"Oh my God..." Shizuka cried.

------------------------------------------------------------------