1

The festival, which happens every year, never fails to amuse him. Mitsuki walked down the path where the small narrow passageway led him to the cherry blossom trees. The smell of honey carried by the wind brushed his cheeks.

It was a beautiful morning, the sky turning light blue from the ever dark colors of dawn. And as the sky turned lighter, his heart did not. It had been beating constantly with pain, one no medicine can cure. It was suffocating the feeling. Mitsuki never thought such pain existed but then again there it was.

Boruto and Sarada had decided they would go and visit their uncle while he himself still needed to pick up some mushrooms for his father. His cousins; Niro and Handa stayed at home playing video games.

Just as Mitsuki sighs the phone in his pocket rang. Quickly he slipped it out and then saw Sarada's name written on the screen. He stopped suddenly, not sure whether to pick up or not. Mitsuki waited, just staring at his screen, his lips dry, his heart aching.

A message came in, followed by a beeping sound, "This is about your confession, answer the phone Mitsuki!" He read. Nervously, he looked left to right as if looking for an answer. But no one was there. The cherry blossom trees were abandoned when a festival starts in the city.

Cold handed; Mitsuki called her back, "Sarada, hey,"

"Mitsuki! Why didn't you answer the first time?"

"Sarada... ahh... I'm sorry. It is just that... it is hard for me to talk about... what happened in the park... I really wish we would forget about it." He sighs again. Mitsuki walked over to a tree close to him and then slumps down. His hair fell over his eyes, his jaw set. Sarada answered from the other side, "Mitsuki..." Her voice was weak, doubting in a way. He couldn't imagine being in her shoes as well. It must be difficult to reject someone who you had to train with. "I... I understand that but still we need to talk about it. It felt like we left something unfinished and I feel... because you are my friend..."

Mitsuki took a deep breath at that. "Sarada, please stop." She must have heard his desperation because she stopped; silence lingering between them.

"Mitsuki, what's wrong? Did I say something wrong?" Did she? Mitsuki thought, letting his hand drop. Could one really be upset at someone who considered him as a friend? It was not her fault his feelings weren't returned. If she preferred Boruto, who was he to say she couldn't?

"No, you didn't say anything wrong. I only find that I'd rather the word comrade, more than a friend," Even the words stung in his mouth, bitter and sour.

"I know Boruto doesn't know about this. About you and me..."

"Was there ever a 'you and me'?" Mitsuki asked before he could stop himself.

"You're right, we never had anything." She agreed. "But then does it mean it changes how you feel about me? No, it doesn't. And for all, I know Boruto doesn't know about it. Do you think he should know?"

Mitsuki gasps, "No!" He exclaimed, "No, don't tell him. It's better off if he doesn't know,"

"Alright, I respect your decision. Where are you? I'm coming your way," She suddenly said.

"What? But what about Boruto?" He asked, glancing down his clock. Mitsuki didn't remember his father telling him to come home on time. But if he knew something about Orochimaru; it was that he wasn't always the patient man when handing over home tasks like this. He expects everything to be done quickly.

"He's with his dad, Uncle Naruto said he needed to talk to him so I thought I'll leave them," Sarada explained. It pinched him a bit. "Oh, well, I guess I always was second anyways so..." He let his words drift away. What was he trying to say?

"Don't be like that," Sarada said seriously after a long silence between them. "We still need to discuss this... Mitsuki," Sarada called a tinge of desperation in her voice.

Mitsuki could hear it, the doubt behind that desperation. He guessed she must have wanted him to do something impossible and she knew it too.

The phone unexpectedly ended, Mitsuki still held it at his ears when the beeping noise told him that Sarada was no longer listening on the other side. Taking a deep breath, leaning his head against the dark wood, Mitsuki felt his heartbreak all over again.

 Taking a deep breath, leaning his head against the dark wood, Mitsuki felt his heartbreak all over again