21. Second chances

M A R T I N

"I mean, he was a kid, you know? Sometimes this job just messes with my mind." I watched Deja in adoration as she talked about the Jack The Ripper case she just solved.

"How old was he?" I asked as we sat in a diner with big windows on one of sides of the booth.

"17." She pouted, "But he'll of course be tried as an adult." She sighed heavily.

"Gosh, I'm sorry. This is definitely not a dinner table subject." She spoke in embarrassment as she put her hands over her face.

"Hey, come on now, you're talking to the guy who's seen the worst of the worst.. There are very few things that can ruin my appetite." I smiled as she peeked out from her hands.

"You know, I haven't decided if I like it when you're sweet or not.." She tried to bite back her smile before the waitress took our empty dishes, Deja thanked her sweetly as I tried to be as polite as she was.

"So what's with the change of heart?" "About the date?" She asked and I nodded.

"Well, I knew you'd pay so it's a free meal for me, plus you were very persistent, and that counts for something." She shrugged as she looked up at me, her pretty brown eyes fixated on me.

"Besides-- if it weren't for second chances, we'd all be alone." She spoke such words of wisdom.

"You know what?" "What?" She smiled as she glanced at me, "We should make this a thing." I smiled as I leaned my elbows onto the table.

"Like a thing we do often?" She giggled, I nodded.

"We'll see. But for now I should go home, we have work in the morning." She said and I looked up at the clock to see it was almost 10 p.m.

"Well, let me walk you out." I said standing from the booth after she did.

"That'd be nice." She smiled before I opened the door for her.

She shyly smiled before brushing against my chest as she walked out of the small diner.

I bit back my smile as I caught up to her, "Thank you for tonight, Martin. It was really sweet." She smiled with her hands hanging together as we stood by her car.

I slowly nodded, "What are friends are for?" I smirked.

"Well, it's been a long day." She sighed with a small smile.

Her pink lips seemed to draw me in as I leaned towards them.

As our noses brushed together she stopped me, "Martin, are you doing what I think your doing?" She said with her breath tickling my lips, her hand lightly placed on my chest.

"No, of course not." I said as our noses still touched.

"Then what are you doing?" She whispered.

"I call it.. Very close talking." I said and she slightly smiled.

"Is there anything else you'd like to say?" She asked and I hummed as I pursed my lips, pressing them against hers as she smiled.