43. Dog tags

M A R T I N

I woke up with an neck and backache, I inhaled deeply as I opened my eyes.

The sun shined brightly on the blonde girl, she slept peacefully, her chest rising and falling softly.

I closed my eyes and kissed her hand, glad that this wasn't a dream-- she was actually okay.

I heard the door open and I braced myself for bad news-- since they had to take our daughter into surgery last night, which scared the hell out of me.

"Well, looks like you have your wife and daughter." Karev said with his chart in hand.

"She's okay? She-she's going to make it?" I asked, stunned and in shock with the good news-- since she's four months premature.

"She's stable for now. She's in intubation, in the NICU, just call a nurse and you can go see her whenever you like." He said before he got paged elsewhere.

I heard my dog tags lightly clinking together, I looked down to see Deja touching them.

I nearly lost it right there and then, just seeing her brown eyes again.

D E J A

I woke up after surgery to the sun in my room, I opened my eyes to see a familiar face sitting beside my bed.

I lifted my weak hands and lightly held Martin's dog tags between my fingers, he slowly looked over at me, he lightly smiled.

"Hi." He whispered, "Hi." I spoke softly, too.

"How-how is the baby?" I asked, getting my hopes up.

"She's good-- she's stable right now." He assured me and I smiled, "She? We have a daughter?" I smiled and he softly smiled and nodded, "We do."

"You look tired." I said placing my hand on his scruffy face.

"Please, I'm okay.. Why didn't you tell me you weren't feeling good?" He asked sweetly.

"I didn't know it was serious-- I'm sorry." I sighed.

"No, hey, you have nothing to be sorry about." He quickly spoke, lightly brushing my hair out of my face, "I should've been helping you, I should have been trying to keep you calm, not be the cause of a heart attack." He said.

"I was just so worried about you.. You've been drinking so much." I spoke softly.

He sighed heavily, "I've been so scared that I won't be the father our child deserves." He spoke, his voice slightly breaking.

"I mean, what if I'm terrible with her?" "You won't be, because you are Martin John Riggs, Navy SEAL and LAPD Detective, you've protected me, loved me and held me when I'm hard to hold... Once you hold her, once you see what our love made, everything else will come to you like a second nature." I assured him, "She'll fall in love with you, just like I did." I smiled.

He softly smiled before he brought his lips to mine, we shared a sweet, love-driven kiss.

--

I leaned forward, trying to get a better look of our baby in intubation.

"She's so tiny." I whispered.

"She's a doll." I heard Martin mumble, both of us in awe of the tiny human.

"How do you feel about Delilah? I know we kind of decided on Penelope but she looks more of a Delilah to me." I said looking up at my husband.

"I-I like it." He assured me before I looked back at our baby who had to be a fighter because she is going to need a million surgeries within the next few months.

We listened to Dr. Alex Karev give us our options with moving forward, which really came down to two choices.

One being we pull her through whatever surgery she needs, and the other was called A.N.D-- allow natural death.

I looked up at Martin to see if he had any thoughts, but he seemed to be elsewhere as he looked at Delilah.

"W-we'll go through the surgeries." I spoke, "Please keep us updated as much as you can." I lightly smiled and he nodded.

A/N short filler chap because I've been too excited for 6x10 of Teen Wolf, so my mind has been elsewhere

TEEN FREAKING WOLF WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME, FREAKING STYDIA, MAN