29. Family tree

D E J A

"What were your parents like?" I asked as my husbands head rested on my lap.

We sat at the beach, trying to gain our thoughts about parenthood after our first ultrasound- and we heard the heartbeat.

He inhaled deeply as his eyes stayed closed, "My dad drank, and was never a mean drunk, but he was drunk whenever he was at home." He opened up about his family, finally.

I traced my fingers over his tattoos on his exposed torso.

"My momma was always cooking, that's how she suppressed her urges to run away from home. They treated me good though, me and my brother and sister." "Woah, woah, you have siblings?" I stopped his story.

"Daniel and Amantha." He confirmed it for me. (Daniel and Amantha from Rectify 😎)

"When I turned 20 I enlisted into the Navy, when I got out, my father had grown worse as an alcoholic and Amantha tried to keep our mom sane.." He sighed loudly.

"They both got help. I haven't heard from them since I moved here." He finished and I lightly humphed.

"Well, you know I-I didn't really know my parents. I don't know details about them, but-- but I don't think they were together, you know, like, in love with each other." I said playing with Martin's hair.

"But I'm grateful for my mom, for having me. For seeing that part all the way through, I guess.." I said as he opened his eyes, watching me carefully.

"Sometimes I get this weird feeling like she's around or something." I said before clearing my throat.

"The point is: I want to be good parents." I sighed with a light smile as I looked at him.

"You're gonna be the best momma there ever was." He said with his hand on my back as he kissed my stomach, I chuckled.

"And you'll be the greatest father." I smiled as I brushed his hair back.

--

"I want a hairless cat." I said before showing Martin a picture of them and he gave me a weird look.

"What?" I laughed.

"Why? They're so weird and wrinkly." He falsely shivered.

"Fine. Then how about a dog?" I pouted, showing him some adoptable dogs at a shelter.

"What's with the sudden urge to get an animal? We are having a baby." He said and I shushed him since we were at work.

"I don't know," I shrugged, "I've just always wanted to name a dog wolf." I sighed, knowing that once the baby was here, we'd have no time for a dog

My face changed as an unpleasant feeling came over me, "Are you alright?" He asked, slightly chuckling at my grossed out face.

"No, I think I'm going to be sick." I sighed as I stood up and walked to the woman's bathroom where I vomited for the third time today- morning sickness.

I walked to the sinks and rinsed my mouth out with some water before standing up straight and sighing.

Only seven and a half months left of this and then it'll all be worth it- I assured myself.

I cleaned myself up before going back out into the office, "Young, I've got those files you asked for." Cruz said walking up to me in the hallway.

"Oh, thanks Cruz." I smiled before I went back to my desk.

I read the files about the human trafficking that the cartel have been doing the last few years in the area that Anna Burley lived in.

"Finding anything?" Riggs asked as he sat at his desk.

I looked up at him, contemplating whether I should tell him that the cartel was involved or not.

"Not really," I sighed as I set the files on my desk, "But I might know someone who might have some information." I spoke sadly because it was an old friend.

"And who is that?" He asked and I sighed, "Julian." I spoke quickly.

"What? You're kidding, right? The only reason that weasel isn't in jail is because we couldn't physically tie him to the prostitution ring." He said standing and walking over to my desk, I stood up and put on my jacket.

I turned around to see Riggs looking at the file, I closed my eyes as I sighed.

"The cartel? Human trafficking?" He turned towards me.

"Riggs, this is my job. It's not my fault the girl might have been taken by them." I said as I gathered my keys and phone.

"Deja, you can't do this case. I can't let you-" "Martin, please. I'll be fine." I assured him as I placed my hand on his chest.

"Deja, no." He put his foot down.

"This is my last case until I'm on desk duty- ok? So it could possibly be my last case ever." I said, tears pooled in my eyes, although being pregnant was a gift: it requires sacrifices such as giving up the job that you love for awhile.

"Deja." He sighed, putting his hands on my waist, "This won't be your last case. You'll be doing this until you retire- even if that means taking our kids to work everyday." He lightly joked and I smiled.

"It scares me to think about." "And it scares me to think about you dealing with professional bad guys- who wouldn't think twice about killing a cop." He added and I sighed.

"Let me talk to Julian, I'll be back here by 7, I promise." I said and he sighed heavily.

"You better be. Tonight is date night." He smiled and I chuckled, "I love you." I said kissing his lips, he told me he loved me too before I left the office.

I couldn't tell if it was pregnancy hormones or something else, but, as I left the building a weird feeling came over me, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

It felt like I was being watched, in a sense.

I drove to Julian's house and parked across the street in my blue Jeep.

I walked up, rehearsing my speech about how disappointed I was in him.

I reached his door and inhaled deeply, I knocked on his door.

I heard loud talking before Julian opened his door, "Julian, I have to admit that I thought you were better than this.-" "Deja, you shouldn't be here." He spoke harshly.

"That's not nice." I said giving him a weird look.

"Leave. Now!" He whispered harshly.

"What has gotten into yo-" I barely finished when something went over my mouth as some strong arms held me.

I squirmed before I inhaled and breathed in the fumes that were in the cloth before my vision went black.

A/N STUFF'S ABOUT TO GO DOWN, Y'ALL.