57. Memory

M A R T I N

(Almost this whole chapter is a flashback, so sorry if it's confusing because it jumps around)(also this chapter is kinda tied in with ch. 37! Jingle bell glock pt.2!)

"A war hero, who won the war, but lost the battle." A priest spoke.

"He lost the battle against himself, constantly wondering if he was good enough. Always asking God why he made it and so many others didn't." He said and then I saw a dark casket with a flag covering the top.

"But he fell in love, he had a family. A family that adored him." My chest became tight.

"Please bow your heads as we pray for this brave mans soul, that God may accept him as he his. Battle wounds and all." The priest said and everyone faced the ground.

I saw faces, so many faces as the priest said a little prayer, "He has saved many, so we ask that you save him. Where he has fallen short, may you pick him up."

"Now we call upon Deja Riggs, to receive the flag." He said and I saw my wife walk up to the front of the crowd in all black with her hair up.

Her eyes were red as she inhaled shakily, she leaned on the casket for a minute, her body shaking with sobs.

Roger lightly took her shoulders and gently pulled her away.

A few Navy SEAL's started to fold up the flag that had covered the coffin.

"I know the road is long, to recover such a loss. A friend," The priest spoke as I saw Roger and Trish, "A cop," He said and I saw Cruz, Bailey and Avery.

"A husband," He said and I saw Deja's sweet face, she covered her mouth as her eyes closed, "And a father." He said and I saw my beautiful little girl who had pretty blonde hair and my eyes.

"Martin John Riggs, may God bless his soul. He will be greatly missed." He said as they handed my wife the flag, she pulled it into her chest as she looked up at the sky.

I gasped as I woke up in darkness, I noticed I was in a suit and tie. I felt around and realized it was a coffin.

I woke up, breathing heavily.

I slowly lifted my head to see I way resting my head on my wife's stomach, her hand gently playing with my hair.

"That dream, again?" She asked quietly.

"That dream." I sighed as I rested my head back down.

She went back to playing with my hair, "I can't lose you. You know that, right?" She asked and I gently nodded as I hummed.

"And I can't lose you." I repeated her before I woke up again.

Her warm smile and kind hands were no longer near me, I couldn't hear her soft voice trying to soothe me.

I opened my eyes to see it was dark and I was no longer in the house we bought, but the trailer I tend to drowned my sorrows in.

I looked around and gained my thoughts, my memories of before my wife was snatched out from under me.

About my reoccurring dream of her having to live without me-- and now it's just the opposite..