42. Baby blues

D E J A

"I have wondered about my parents my whole life- my biological parents. And to find out that I've been in the same building as them for years-- it's driving me crazy." I said to Roger as he sat beside my desk while my husband avoided me.

"It's driving me crazier, would be the proper term." I spoke as I lightly smiled because I remember Riggs saying that once.

"You're not crazy. Your husband-- he's crazy. He's sitting on the break room floor in board shorts.." He said and I sighed heavily.

I stood from my desk, assuring Roger I'd talk to him, although the last time we talked was when he was wasted on the Murtaugh's couch, two days ago.

I walked into the break room to see Riggs laying on the ground, trying to reach something from underneath one of the vending machines.

"You okay?" I asked, getting his attention,

"Oh, hey, Dej. Yeah, just another day in paradise." He said before straining.

"What are you doing under a vending machine?" I asked leaning on the round table that was in the room.

"Well, I needed a break and this is a break room." He said and I lightly shook my head.

"And now I'm trying to get this... little..." He strained before he grabbed something.

He groaned as he sat up, "Got it." He said holding a bag of chips as he sat on the ground, leaning against the machines.

R I G G S

I ripped open the bag of chips as Deja crossed her arms over her chest.

"So, is this it? Have we finally reached rock-bottom? Avoiding each other at work, only being able to talk about you getting a free, old bag of chips?" I looked up at the beautiful, sweet face, her eyes seemed worried and tired.

Her hair in a messy ponytail while she wore a white shirt under a grey cardigan, she looked so simply beautiful.

"No, we can talk about something else. How are you?" I asked and she softly scoffed, "What about the fact I've tried calling, texting and even emailing to make sure you're alive but you haven't answered one?" She said looking over at me, I sighed.

I couldn't tell her how terrified I was about having a baby, about how I don't want another me.. I guess it's no excuse for ignoring my pregnant wife, and being as reckless as I possibly can.

I just couldn't spit it out.

"Oh, Duke! You got'em?" I said standing up as a uni came in and tossed me a paper bag.

"Uh, I got most of what you wanted. Except your wallet, I couldn't find that." Duke informed me and Deja gave me a bewildering look.

"No worries, thanks buddy!" I smiled as I set the bag on the table, so I was a few mere inches from the perfect human being.

"Okay," Deja sniffled after Duke left, "So you're eating floor chips and you sent a uni to retrieve your pants?" She said tilting her head slightly.