48. Lawmen pt.1

D E J A

"It just makes me wonder just why you weren't charged with an actual crime. Because, Dr. Bansal, you gave testimony two days ago that made reference to a reckless endangerment charge. How was that?" Trish said and I cleared my throat.

"Very.. incriminating. Although, Dr. Bansal is much too cute to be guilty of anything." I chuckled as Trish fed Bella.

Delilah slept on my chest, probably drooling on my shoulder.

"So, what did the real Dr. Bansal do?" I asked and she chuckled.

"Nothing. But he's testifying against my client, so I'm planning to invalidate his testimony by proving he lied under oath." She explained and I nodded.

"And that's why you should never lie to mommy." I said in my baby voice as I ran my hand over Bell's head.

"So, is your client guilty?" I asked, slightly swaying as I looked up at my mom who now had a cup of coffee in her hand.

"It's not as simple as that." "Sure it is." I said, lightly shrugging.

"What I get, Deja, is that you're an LAPD cop, who bleeds LAPD blue." She smiled and I smiled lightly, knowing there was more than that.

"And I love you for that, I am so proud of you and what you do for people. But let's just say the subtlety of the law is not your biggest passion." She giggled, setting her cup on the sink.

"All I'm saying is, at the end of the day, either you did it or didn't do it. It's that simple." I said before I smelled Delilah, I cringed.

"What?" She laughed, "I think she did it." I laughed and Trish joined me.

"I should get her changed before I drop her off at the sitters. I'll see you when I see you." I said side hugging Trish before she told me she loved me and then kissed my daughters head.

--

"You can't seriously be taking their side on this." Riggs scoffed as we walked up to the crime scene.

He was complaining about a ticket some officers gave him after he set Wolf, the orphaned dog, loose in a park when you're supposed to have a leash and collar.. And Riggs fed the ticket to the dog in front of the cops.

"Have you seen the shorts these guys wear?" He scoffed and I rolled my eyes, "They're cops, just like us." I said glancing over at him to see him already looking at me.

"You shouldn't have fed your ticket to the dog." I said putting on rubber gloves so I didn't contaminate anything.

"What, you would have arrested me, is that it?" He asked looking over at me.

"You were guilty, weren't you?" I smirked as I looked up at him.

He took my face in his hands and kissed me quickly, "Have I ever told you how incredibly hot I find it when you talk about work?" He said and I smiled and bit my lip as I shook my head, we kept walking.

"At the very least, Riggs, you could have showed them some respect." I said raising my eyebrows as I looked at him again.

"What's his name?" Riggs asked as we stopped in front of the yellow tarp that covered our victim, in the middle of nowhere.