51. Relative(ly annoying)

D E J A

"Hey, I heard Harper is coming to visit?" I asked walking up to Roger, "Uh, yeah. Her and the kids are coming here next week." He said only glancing up at me from his desk.

"When we're you going to tell me my sister and nephews are coming? When they got here?" I chuckled as I folded my arms over my chest.

"Sorry Dej, I've just been so busy with this paperwork." He sighed before he got up and left quickly with files galore in his hands.

"Detective Young?" A small voice spoke from behind me, "Yes, Delgado?" I sighed, giving my sister a questionable look.

"Uh, I have these, uh, files for you. But I also have a personal question, Detective." She said and I took the files from her arms and walked over towards my desk, not wanting to hear the question.

"Did you say your sister was coming to town? Like, your adoptive sister?" She said following me to my desk, I sighed, "Yes, my adoptive sister is coming to town. Get back to work." I said not even looking at her.

She opened her mouth like she wanted to say something before she sighed and then left my side.

Someone cleared their throat and I looked up to meet some curious brown eyes, "I wasn't being mean. I was being nice... I just don't want to drag her into the mess that is my family." I sighed, explaining myself more for me than my husband.

"I didn't say anything." Riggs smirked.

"With your mouth. But your eyes are judging me." I said and he chuckled.

"Hey, um, have you heard anything on that house?" I asked Riggs about a house we put an offer on.

It was actually the house we lived in when I was taken, it was back on the market.

"Uh, yeah. Long story short: we got it." He said calmly, "Really?" I smiled widely because it was a beautiful house.

"We'll be close to Trish and Roger, and we can set up a swing set for Danger." I said getting all giddy.

I glanced at Lexie to see her staring, she smiled before looking away.

"She just wants to be your sister, Dej." Riggs said and I looked over at him.

"Riggs," I sighed as I shifted my weight, "Don't -- don't take her side." I said with my joy turning to frustration.

"I'm not taking her side!" He laughed and I scoffed.

I walked away to the filing cabinet and started putting away some files.

"I hate apples. Hate them. I think they shouldn't be allowed to be a fruit." Someone said and I looked over with a weirded out face.

Lexie..

"That's one. And two... I can draw really, really well on a Etch a Sketch. Like, really well. Like, I could be a professional if, you know, that profession existed. I play the trombone. Badly." Lexie said and I slightly tilted my head, wondering where this was going.

"I like math. And I notice you do this thing with your hands when you're trying to make a point. Like, like this, with your hands." Lexie said moving her hands, it's like she knew me.

"And I know that's about you, but I do it too, so it's also about me. And so that's five." She said and I gave her a curious look, "What?" I said, an exasperated laugh leaving my lips.

"Five things that I'm hoping will make it a little bit harder for you to hate me." She said and I lightly huffed.

"Lexie, I-I don't hate you." I sighed.

I closed the cabinet and faced her, "You're just a girl I never wanted to know."

"You're the girl I've always wanted to know." She blurted and I sighed, again.

"I have to go.." I spoke quietly before brushing past her.

--

"Yeah, because people want to hear the story about you knocking me down." I scoffed as I sat on Martin's lap.

"I'm intrigued." Harper joked and Riggs chuckled as his hand rested on my waist.

"Hey, uh, Harper, can I talk to you for a second?" I questioned and she gave me a curious look before nodding.

Riggs knew what I was doing as I sighed, I stood from his lap.

I walked through the living room of our house, boxes still stuffed in the corners.

"What's up?" Harper smiled over at me.

"Well, uh, you know how my biological parents recently contacted me?" I said and she nodded, "I can't wait to meet them!" She spoke happily.

"Well, funny thing is that I-I actually have a biological sister, who's a few years younger than me." I spoke and her face looked confused before she smiled.

"Really? Another branch to our twisted family tree." She laughed before sipping her wine.

I rolled my eyes, because although Harper and I were friends, she still annoyed me.

a/n filler chapter. Q: should I continue this story? Because I seriously love writing it but not many people seem to be enjoying it like I am. 🙂