3

I stayed in the hospital room for two more days, not getting any visits besides Jamie and Steve. Not even Bruce came by to say hello. When I asked Steve about it, he said he thought it would be best for me to meet all of them as a group when I was feeling a bit better. Luckily, I would be moving in with Steve and my daughter that day.

A soft knock came from the door as I sat dangling my feet off the edge of the bed. I glanced up to the doorway to see Steve with a box in his hands and Jamie came running up to me. She leapt up and threw her arms around my neck, rocking me backward slightly, and I let out a laugh and hugged her back. "Hey there kiddo!" I chuckled and set her back down on her own two feet.

"I had a friend lend us some clothes for you to borrow until we get you some of your own. Hopefully they fit." Steve said from the doorway and set the box on the floor. "I will let you get dressed and then we will go when you are ready to, okay?" he raised his eyebrows.

"Okay. Thank you Steve." I smiled and nodded.

Steve tipped his head and grinned at Jamie. "Come on munchkin. Lets let your mommy get ready to go home." He waved her over.

"Okay!" she cheered and skipped to her uncle's side, clasping hold of his hand and exiting the room before shutting the door.

I smiled and chewed at my lip, staring at the blank door while deep in thought. My little girl Jamie was giving me a chance of redeeming myself. I had hurt so many of my closest friends when Bucky died... I had been mean and harsh and ignorant. I had lashed out at the people that were only trying to help me. But Jamie gave me a chance to help forget the past and move on. I wished Bucky could meet her, but without him I thought I might actually turn out alright in the end, because she carries his blood in her veins, and in a way he lives through her. I missed him dearly, but I thought that I could change my attitude about his death, returning to my old self and loving Jamie unconditionally.

I lifted myself to my feet and stretched, shuffling over to the box on the floor and prying it open. Inside was an array of clothing I had never seen before and material I was unfamiliar with. I found a pair of jeans and slipped them over my legs. I had never worn jeans before but they were quite comfortable and luckily they seemed to fit well, though they hugged the curves and bends of my legs. I pulled the hospital gown off and replaced it with a black tanktop and brown leather jacket that I bottoned mostly closed. I found a pair of matching brown boots that came half way up my calves and put them on as well. I closed up the box and clasped a hand around my locket dangling from my neck. I miss you. I smiled sadly and lifted the box from the ground easily and exited through the door, seeing Steve and Jamie out in the hallway waiting for me.

"Here, let me take that." Steve said, taking the box from my hands. I nodded in thanks and looked around the hallway, raising my brows at the sight. It looked nothing like a hospital.

"Where is this place?" I frowned in confusion.

"SHIELD headquarters. We have special personel that work as doctors here." Steve said, starting to move down the hall.

"What is SHIELD?" I asked, more confused than before as I followed him, Jamie by my side.

"Strategic Homeland Enforcement and Logistics Division. We go by SHIELD. The Avengers are our top branch of agents." a man said as he turned a corner in front of us and approached swiftly. He was broad and intimidating. He had one eyepatch covering his left eye and his skin was dark. "Nick Fury, head coordinator and pretty much the boss of everyone." he curtly smiled as he neared me, holding out a hand for me to shake. I curtly smiled in return and shook his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Sir." I stated. Nick nodded and turned on his heel to walk beside us down the hallway.

"I would like to speak with you, and your brother may come as well if he insists. Steve knows where my office is." he said without a glance at me. I nodded and he turned down a different hallway nearby. Steve stopped and set the box down.