5

"You get to meet Auntie Nat!" Jamie skipped a few feet ahead as we walked into the SHIELD headquarters. I let out a small chuckle, watching her curls bounce around her pale face.

"You mean me?" A womans voice perked up from around the corner. Suddenly, a redheaded woman stepped out into view with a grin and wrapped her arms tightly around Jamie with a giggle. "I missed you girlie!" the woman smiled.

"I missed you too Auntie Nat." Jamie grinned in return. The woman, who I assumed was Nat stood up, her eyes meeting mine.

"Nat, this is Maggie, Jamie's mother." Steve introduced. "Maggie, this is Natasha. Shes a friend and fellow Avenger."

I forced a smile and held my hand out for her to shake. Instead, the redhead stepped forward and gathered me into an awkward hug. I froze in place and glanced at Steve in questioning. All he did was smile and shrug. A moment later, Nat released me and grinned. "Im a big fan, Ms. Barnes. And thank you, for having such a wonderful daughter." she nodded.

"Um... Thank you." I replied nervously to the stranger.

"My clothes seem to fit you well. Steve called me yesterday- asked if I would take you shopping. I would be glad to take you when we finish up here. The others are excited to meet you." Nat said quickly. I blushed and stared down at my attire, realizing that she was the friend Steve borrowed the clothes from.

"Thank you for the clothes... And for taking me shopping later." I mumbled. She grinned and nodded her head once.

"You said the others were excited? Are they all here?" Steve spoke up.

"Everyone is waiting in the conference room." Nat answered. "Follow me." she said, turning and strutting away.

Jamie grabbed a hold of my hand and tugged me forward. I reluctantly followed, feeling my gut sink further with each step. All of these people that I didnt know were waiting to meet me. I was nervous and anxious and scared. But I had no choice. Steve walked steadily beside me as we rounded various corners, watching Nat's red hair swish with each step. My heart pounded in my ears and every foot I moved forward felt like I was digging myself further into impenetrable doom.

We rounded one more corner and stopped at a large set of double doors. "In here." Nat smiled, and pushed them open. I came face to face with a group of people staring directly at me, and I felt my body turn clammy. My palms were sweaty and my knees felt weak. Jamie looked up at me, her hand still holding mine, and she tugged me into the room with Steve as well. Everyone was sat around a large glass table with two seats left empty for Steve and I. Nat had claimed her seat and everyone waited for Steve and I to take ours. Jamie let my hand go and climbed up into Nat's lap while Steve and I sat down. I felt like my head was pounding in the quiet of the room.

"So, this is the team." Steve said, motioning to the others.

I smiled curtly at them. "Hello. Im Maggie. Im sure you all know me though." I spoke nervously.

"You've already met Banner and Romanoff." Steve said, motioning to Bruce and Nat. "But this is the rest of the Avengers." he smiled.

"Nice to meet all of you." I mumbled.

"Hey. Im Clint Barton. Expert shot and hand to hand combat fighter." the man directly to my left said proudly. I tipped my head to him.

"Quit bragging Barton." Nat shot at him sarcastically. Clint made a face as if he was shocked and put a hand over his chest.

"Im Sam Wilson. You can just ignore these two children here." A black gentleman beside Clint smiled as he motioned beween Clint and Natasha. I curtly smiled at him in return, supressing a laugh.

"Just call me Rhodey. Its nice to meet you." a second black man spoke up. I smiled over at him in acknowledgement.

Tony stood up across the room from me and crossed his arms. "Im Tony Stark. Billionare, genious, playboy, philanthropist. Im also Iron Man." he said quickly and cockily. I had no idea what an Irom Man was.

"Stark?" I asked in shock, clenching my hands together under the table.

"Yeah. Howard was my father." he nodded, shoving his hands deep in his pockets. "I knew all about you and Capsicle over there long before you two ever came back. Its practically all I heard about growing up." he shrugged.

That man in front of me was the son of one of my greatest friends. His father got me to where I was that day. He taught me so much, and provided me with any sort of help. "Wow." I whispered, my nerves disappearing momentarily. My hand covered my mouth as I stared wide eyed at the man. I never took Howard as a settledown and start a family kind of man. But then again, I only knew Howard when he was young and single.

"Its nice to meet all of you finally. Thank you all." I smiled at the team.

"Nice to meet you too Maggie." Sam smiled.

"Well, this chat has been nice but I have plans." Nat spoke up. "Ready to go shopping?" she raised her brows at me. I took a breath and nodded quickly, wanting to get out of there as soon as I could from all the pressure. Nat smiled and set Jamie on her own feet before standing up herself. "Alright, lets go. Jamie, stay with your uncle okay?" Nat said.

"Okay." Jamie grinned. I stood up and waved goodbye at the group and they waved me goodbye as well. Nat waltzed to my side and gripped my arm, pulling me behind her and out of the room.

"That was Howard's son?" I asked her in disbelief as we walked.

"Yeah. He's a good guy. Boastful, but good." she nodded. I smirked and kept quiet after that. I wondered if Howard asked Tony's mother to go have some fondue with him. I mentally chuckled and followed Nat all the way outside and to her car.

---

I knew nothing about modern day fashion, but luckily Nat was the most fashionable one of the team. I followed her through each store and tried on various materials and items. If she approved of the outfit, we bought it on the spot. Her and I talked, enjoying each others company, and distracting myself from my personal problems for a few hours as we shopped. She seemed like a great friend and a tough woman that shouldn't be messed with. She told stories of Steve from when I was alseep, and I told her stories of Steve when it was the 40's. Her and I bonded quickly while we shopped and I told her all about Bucky while she listened intently. I really liked Nat and felt like I could trust her.

"So, do you have any interests in anyone?" I asked as we walked through isles of clothes.

"No. No, not really. I cant in this line of work. Its too hard and dangerous. I dont have time for relationships and I have way to many aliases to even be considered one person." she giggled sarcastically.

"Thats too bad. You would make a great mom Im sure. You seem like the protective type. Plus, Ive seen you interact with Jamie." I shrugged.

Nat's features dropped. "Actually I... I cant ever have kids. Its impossible. Ive always wanted one, but its impossible now. See, I wasnt always on good terms with SHIELD. The group I was with before forebode children, and they made sure to destroy any possibily of their agents having children." she mumbled sadly.

"Oh, my god... Nat Im... Im so sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up." I said, mentally kicking myself.

"No. No, dont worry. You didnt know... Besides. Im happy being Auntie Nat." she smiled kindly.

"Im glad you are. Jamie has a confusing life. With her dad gone, and me just getting to know her, Im happy she has you and Steve taking care of her." I replied sincerely.

"Well. Steve takes care of her more than I do. I like to babysit, or be more of a playmate. But thank you." she said with a smile. Her eyes landed on a leather jacket and her smile grew. "This is too cute not to get." she said, snagging it from its hanger for me.

AN: Sort of a borinf chapter, but I still have big plans!! What do you think of Maggie and Nat bonding??? Poor Nat :(

What do y'all think so far? Votes, comments, predictions, and more are always appreciated!

Xoxo