30

"Okay, one more round." I panted, raising my fists into a fighting stance. Bucky cocked his head and a devilish smirk tugged at the corners of his mouth. We were going for best two out of three. I won the first round, and he had won the second. Jamie watched from the sidelines with a smile as we showed her our fighting abilities and tactics. Bucky had been teaching her for a few days and I would practice with Bucky when she needed a break. Luckily he never really got tired, and neither did I.

Bucky went for the first punch and I ducked, shoving under his arm so we were almost back to back. Before he could react, I twisted my body around and hooked my left foot around his chest while my right kicked the back of his legs, ultimately flinging him onto the floor so he lay on his back. I quickly got up and planted my knee firmly in the center of his chest, pinning his hands down near his face as I did so. "I win." I smirked, but Bucky had a different idea.

In one swift movement he jerked his hands out of my grip and used his legs to kick me over his head so I landed on the ground with a groan. He quickly got up and put me into a head lock. "Actually, I do. And that was going easy on you, doll." he chuckled lowly in my ear. I rolled my eyes and pulled away from him when he let me go.

"Fine. You win." I chided. Just then, the sound of the front door opening and slamming closed was heard throughout the house.

"Mags, Jamie, Im home. Sorry I didnt call." Steve's voice rang in our ears. My eyes grew wide and I stared straight at Bucky, trying to gauge his reaction.

His face was stone still, his jaw almost permanently flexed and his eyes completely emotionless. His body seemed tense and his fists opened and closed at his sides anxiously. Jamie looked back and forth between her closed bedroom door and Bucky, unsure of how to react.

"I'll go talk to him. Stay here and stay quiet." I whispered to the both of them. Bucky didnt even shift his gaze toward me, but Jamie nodded and moved to her fathers side. I spared one last glance to them before shuffling to the door.

"Hello?" Steve called out from someplace in the house. I cracked the door open and squeezed out, shutting it tightly behind myself just as Steve entered the hallway. "Mags! There you are! I was starting to think you guys weren't at home. The car was outside though so I-"

"Steve, relax. We are home. Its good to have you back. We were beginning to worry after everything on the t.v. the other day in Sokovia." I said, sending him a sweet smile. Im lucky I was a decent liar. My back was pressed against the closed door and my hands kept the door knob from moving. I knew at least Jamie was eavesdropping, just because I could almost sense it, and based on her personality I wasnt all that surprised.

Steve frowned slightly and his shoulders dropped. "Im sorry I didnt call." he mumbled sadly.

"Well, you're here now. Its okay." I assured him.

"Where's Jamie? Is she in there?" He asked, taking a step closer.

My grip on the door knob got tighter and my eyes grew wide suddenly, my mind straining to think of an excuse. "Oh, Jamie, she... She, uh..." I mumbled, avoiding his eyes. It was obvious that I was lying now. What was I going to say? Or do? How was I going to tell him that Bucky was back?

"Im right here, Uncle Steve. I was just changing my clothes." Jamie lied, forcing open the door despite my grip. She pushed past me after making sure the door was closed behind her.

Steve arched a brow at the two of us standing in front of her bedroom door. "What's going on? Is there something I need to know?" Steve asked, his voice going low.

"No... Yeah... No." I stuttered.

Steve's blue eyes narrowed at me, piercing through my nerves. "There's something in that room, isnt there?" he questioned, stepping closer and grabbing my arm. He moved me out of his way and did the same to Jamie, and we couldnt find the heart to stop him.

Just as his hand wrapped around the knob, I put a hand on his shoulder. "Steve, wait... When you go in there, you have to promise me that you wont freak out, okay?" I asked. Steve shot me a frustrated glance and his jaw locked. "Promise me, Steve. I need you to promise." I begged, tears beginning to sting at the corners of my eyes. There was no telling how he was going to react.

Steve's harsh look softened a bit and he sighed through his nose. "Fine. I promise." he confirmed. I nodded and let go of his shoulder, watching him carefully twist the doorknob and push the door wide open. I didnt even look at Bucky. I was watching Steve. He stood up straighter, his jaw clenched and his hands hanging limply at his sides. "Bucky." his voice cracked.

"Steve." Bucky replied. I let out a breath I didnt realize I was holding and looked to Bucky, who seemed anxious and tense. His whole body slightly trembled in the presence of Steve, much like he did with me the day we reunited. I pushed past my brother and stood at Bucky's side, taking his flesh hand in mine and giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Steve, I tried to tell you on the phone, but you didn't give me a chance to." I said, Steve not even glancing my way. "He remembers. He doesn't remember everything, but he remembers most things from our old lives... I know this is a shock, but I-We need to take things slowly and easily, okay?" I explained slowly and quietly. Bucky's trembling hand gripped mine even tighter as the two men continued to stare at each other.

"How did you find him?" Steve asked softly, hesitant of what he should do.

"He found me." I answered. Steve nodded slowly, and the room fell into an awkward silence. It stayed that way for what seemed like decades until finally one voice broke the silence.

"So, I guess we're even after the Coney Island thing, huh?" Bucky spoke up. Steve's face broke out into a grin and I had to cover my mouth with my free hand to keep myself from laughing.

"Yeah. I guess we are." Steve chuckled and nodded. I grinned and watched Steve pace toward us with his arms open for a hug. Bucky swallowed nervously, but let go of my hand and accepted the brotherly bear-hug. They both squeezed the air out of each other and closed their eyes to just enjoy their reunion. Tears stung my eyes and slipped down my cheeks at the sight. Jamie trailed through the room and came to my side, putting one of her arms around my shoulders and grinning while I cried joyously. After all of this time, all of this pain, all of this tragedy and suffering, here we finally were. A complete family. I was finally at peace.

Yeah, my peace never lasted. It was always ripped from me at some point or another, but I was going to enjoy it while I could. I was going to embrace the peace like it was the only thing I had in this world. Because through all the bad, through all the darkness and bitterness and fear, this was worth it. I wouldnt want it any other way.

People say beauty thrives in the extravagant pieces of life, but I find it lies within the little things. Like the single tear that found its way down Steve's cheek, and the furrowing of Bucky's brows that said he never wanted to let go of this moment. The way Jamie smiled and her eyes gleamed with love for her only two father figures, and the way that the three of them had such a major impact all my life. And to think this all started long ago, in 1934, in a dark alley way as I was walking home from a bowling trip with a few jerks I thought were my friends. That one fateful night when Bucky had punched a drunk man and walked me home. I had no idea all those years ago, that same boy that saved me would have me so tightly wrapped around his finger. I had no idea that this boy was my all, my soul mate, my future husband, and the father of my daughter, and possibly future children. Who could have predicted that? That one simple boy I met, the one simple boy who's eyes I immediately fell in love with and have never stopped loving, that one simple boy who turned my entire life upside down and made me the person I grew up to be. I couldn't be more thankful.

Then another thought entered my mind. One I had not had in such a long time. If my father, my real father, were alive today, would he be proud of me? Would he smile and tell me I did good? Would he be filled with pride when I walked into the room? Papa, if only you could see me now. I know you're watching from Heaven, and I know you keep me safe. But are you happy? Are you content with the choices I've made? Did I do right by choosing this life? So many questions with so little answers... But I had a feeling he was full of love and joy for me, his little girl.

AN: Oh goodness I love you guys and all the support and kindness you've so willingly provided for me. Seriously, I couldn't be more thankful for you beautiful plums!

What are your thoughts on this chapter? Predictions? I adored this chapter, honestly.

Votes, comments, and more are always appreciated!

Xoxo