16

AN: this starts in 3rd person POV and then go back to regular POV just in case it is confusing at all!!!

The Winter Soldier sat in his chair, his flesh arm restrained as the doctors worked to repair his metal arm. That man with the shield had done something to it when he hit it hard. But that woman... Her face flashed in his mind over and over again.

"Bucky?" the word had tumbled from her lips so smoothely. It sounded almost... Familiar. But how? His mind raced in confusion. He had seen her face before.

"Daddy?" the word had made him flinch. Daddy? Him? The little girl had caught his attention. He almost wanted to reach out and touch her. He wanted to be near her. But he couldn't figure out why. It drove him mad. Suddenly, flashes of a nightmare, a memory actually, filled his mind, bringing a burning sensation to the back of his head.

Cold. Snow. Mountains. He saw the womans face, filled with tears and pain. She was reaching out for him, the wind whipping her hair across her tear soaked cheeks. Then she grew smaller as he fell away. He was falling fast through the bitter air. Then he saw trees around him. And blood. His blood. His left arm was missing. Everything went back and a moment later he saw white coated men standing around him, sawing into the stump left from his arm. More black. Then cold. Cold on his shoulder. His hands came into view, one flesh, and the other silver metal. Vibranium. More dark. Then freezing. Ice filled his vision, then dark again. And nothing.

Something snapped inside of him and he lurched forward in his chair, throwing the doctor back as he let out an angry roar. What was going on with him? He couldn't figure it out. He knew that woman in the highway. He knew the man with the shield. And something about that little girl clinging to the womans back pained his chest. His breath heaved and his fists tightened. Suddenly, the large iron doors to his cell slid open and his boss, Alexander Pierce, walked in with a frown on his face.

Bucky shuddered away... Or was he Bucky? Thats what they had called him. They as in the man and woman near the overpass. But he was nameless. He was the Winter Soldier. Nothing more. Right?

"Mission report." Pierce demanded as he always did. Bucky, or the Winter Soldier, or whoever he really was, looked up to his boss, pain throbbing in the back of his head.

"Those people on the bridge... Who were they?" his voice cracked. It hadnt been used in so long, and it felt raw and broken to speak with. It was a strange sound, even to his own ears. Pierce rolled his eyes with an irritated sigh. He looked toward a nearby agent who was standing guard, and the agent slid a stool over to the boss. Pierce took it and sat down and leaned his elbows on his knees.

"You met them on an assignment earlier this week. Now, mission report." Pierce said, his dark eyes looking straight through the assassin. When the soldier didnt reply, unsure of how to react to the boss' words, Pierce tried a different method. "Your work has been a gift to mankind. You help Hydra bring safety into the world. So, tell me. Mission report." Pierce lied through his teeth, but the Winter Soldier didnt know that. He just knew how to follow orders. But this thought, this feeling of those people he saw, it was clouding his mind.

"But... I knew them." his voice cracked in pain and he winced, the pain increasing in his head. Pierce suddenly snapped, not dealing with the refusal from his worker. He stood quickly and sent a hard hand across Bucky's face with a loud slap, snapping Bucky's head to the side, his long hair flinging across his eyes. Not a sound was made. All he did was swallow back the pain. He couldn't disobey or fight back. He wasnt allowed. He already made a big mistake by asking his question. Pierce stared down at the broken man in front of him with a dark frown of hate.

"Prep him." Pierce ordered harshly. The doctor stepped forward, a look of concern written across his brow.

"But, Sir... He has been out of cryofreeze too long." he muttered in fear that Pierce would lash out at him. That man was unpredictable.