10

I woke up early, the sun barely beginning to rise. I had fallen asleep somewhat early the night before after we brought Jamie home, but I was still surprised that I had found myself rolling out of bed so early. I sighed, knowing there was no way I was going to be able to fall back asleep. I was still in my street clothes, and I felt disgusting after staying at SHIELD headquarters for so long. So I wandered into the bathroom and undressed myself, and looked at the face staring back at me in the mirror. The dark circles under my eyes were less dark, but I still looked pained. I wanted to change something. I wanted to let go of my grief. Something I saw on the shelf behind me through the mirror grabbed my attention and I turned around, pulling it down. Holding the scissors in my hands, I chewed at my lip nervously, deciding if I was actually going to do it or not. A sigh escaped my nose and I curled my fingers around a lock of my long blonde hair, snipping it off with the scissors.

Snip. Snip. Snip.

I kept cutting until I was satisfied. My blonde hair rested at my shoulders instead of halfway down my back. I smirked, proud of what I had done. It actually looked pretty good. I moved to the shower and turned it on, waiting for the water to warm up before I stepped in. Once I was in, I stood beneath the water, letting it run over my skin and face, growing goosebumps over my flesh. I eased under the relaxation of the warm water and took my time in the shower, scrubbing the grime from my hair and body and allowing myself to rest until the water began to run cold.

I didnt know how much later it was when I stepped out. I towelled the drips from my hair and wrapped the large towel around myself, making my way back to my room and shutting the door. Steve was taking me out to an open mic concert, which meant I needed to dress for the occassion. I went to my dresser and dug around, finding a nice black dress. It was sleeveless, but came up to a nice collar around my neck, the black fabric hugging my body and flowing freely from my hips, reaching to the floor. I slipped on a pair of short black heels and waltzed out of my room toward the bathroom. As I made my way down the hallway, Steve stepped out of his room, nearly running into me.

"Woah, Mags. I was just about to go make breakfast before we left." Steve coughed after our little startle. "Did you cut your hair?" He furrowed his brows, reaching out and grazing his fingers over a few of the ends.

"Yeah." I nodded, pressing my lips into a firm line and pushing his hand away.

"I like it." He smiled.

"Thanks." I replied, brushing past him and going back into the bathroom. I brushed my teeth, then applied a nice red shade of lipstick before I lined my eyes with black eyeliner and put on a full layer of mascara. My hair had already dried for the most part, so plugged in the curling iron and set it on the counter to heat up while I let the rest of my hair dry. Once it was hot, I curled my hair and pinned it up neatly and intricately in a classy style. I looked over myself one more time and deemed myself ready.

The thick aroma of cooking bacon and pancakes filled my nose and I couldn't help but smile. Just like Sara used to make. I followed the sweet scent all the way to the kitchen where Steve was busy cooking, dressed in nice jeans and a white tshirt topped with his leather jacket. How nice. I rolled my eyes and sat down beside Jamie who was in a pretty pink floral dress.

"You look really pretty mommy!" Jamie grinned at me.

I chuckled and smiled at the little sweetheart. "So do you, kiddo." I said warmly. Jamie blushed and Steve finshed cooking, setting the cooked food on a plate in the center of the table. We each took what we wanted and ate quickly so we could make it to the concert thing. The three of us tossed our plates into the sink when we were finished and piled into the car.

---

"Steve, this is not an open mic concert." I glared at my brother as we stepped inside. It was only the Avengers in the large room with music playing and lights flashing.