31

They say that life is full of surprises. That our dreams can come true. But what they neglect to say, is that so can our nightmares...

I stayed in bed a little later than usual that day. I was by myself, rather than sharing a bed with Bucky. He had woken earlier and I could hear the muffled voices of him and Steve coming from the living room. The golden morning rays of sun trickled into the room through the window, and the soft light danced across the floor. The warmth of the blankets kept me from getting up, and I didnt mind. I was still at peace from our family reunion the night before. That was the first night Bucky hadnt had a nightmare in a long time.

The sound of my bedroom door attracted my attention and I sat up as Jamie came in. "Mom, come on. Get up. Breakfast is ready. I even made you coffee." she said, crossing her arms over her chest. She was getting older so fast. She almost looked like she was 18 or 19 by now. It was sad to see her grow so quickly, but she was so beautiful.

"Alright, alright. Im getting up." I rolled my eyes and raked a hand through my blonde hair. It had mostly grown back out after I had cut it all that time ago. I sort of wanted to cut it again, but it was fine for the time being. Jamie smiled and left the room, shutting the door behind herself as I lazily got out of bed. For a moment, I debated on whether or not I should put on some actual clothes, but I decided to stay in my gray sweatpants and black tank top. Slowly I made my way through the apartment and found myself in the living room with the others.

"Hey, sleeping beauty. Bucky and I were waiting for you to get up before we left." Steve looked over at me as I stood in the doorway, rubbing the drowsiness from my eyes.

"Where are you guys going?" I asked, furrowing my brow with curiosity. Bucky never really seemed to want to leave the house. It surprised me to think he was willing to do so, now.

"Steve's taking me to that diner we went to. He and I wanted to catch up on our lives in private." Bucky said in an almost monotone voice. He really didnt seem excited to leave, but he understood why Steve was so antsy to talk to him.

I raised a single brow at the two men. "So, you're going a public place to have a private meeting?" I said, eyeing Steve, emphasizing the private part of my sentence.

Steve frowned momentarily. "Well... I just want to catch up with Bucky is all. I know he's your fiance and whatnot, but you got to catch up already. I haven't." he said in an apologetic tone.

When Steve said the word fiance, I did my best to hold a straight face, when really I wanted to wince. I was still not sure of what Bucky and I's title was, even after our talk. I just knew that we loved each other and we were together through everything. I glanced over at Bucky who hung his head low at Steve's words, his dark, long hair falling down in front of his face. "Just be safe, boys." I nodded, knowing that a bonding moment for these two best friends would be important. Bucky flashed me a look to show he would have rather have had me find an excuse for him not to go, but I winked at him in return.

Steve tugged on his coat and picked up the car keys from the laminate counter top. "We wont be gone too long." He smiled my way. Bucky sighed silently through his nose and I could see the muscles in his jaw flexing. Quietly, I watched the only two men in my life that I couldn't live without disappear out the door.

"So, where's that coffee?" I asked, turning to Jamie who sat at the dining room table with a plateful of eggs and sausages.

"Its already brewed. Just have to pour it, mom." she giggled. I couldn't help but smile at her. I trailed over to the coffee pot and grabbed a porcelain mug from the cupboard above it, pouring the dark amd steaming liquid into the cup. Being from the 40's, I liked my coffee black. Once I had my coffee, I took the full mug with me and sat down across the table from Jamie.