20

Slowly, my eyes blinked open to welcome the light in a hospital room. The faint beeping of my heart monitor came from above me in this all too familiar setting. It reminded me of when I woke up, only to find oht I was 70 years into the future. Then the sound of music playing caught my attention. I didnt know what song it was, but I shifted my head to the right and found a familiar face beside me, staring down at a phone.

"On your left." I croaked out. Sam lifted his head, a smile playing at his lips when he looked over at me. He shut off the music quickly and put his attention on me. "Where's Steve?" I mumbled, trying to focus my fuzzy thoughts. The last thing I remembered was lying on the shore of the river, watching Bucky's figure disappear from sight.

"He's sleeping out in the hallway. You've been out for three days. Doctors are shocked how fast you are healing. Your gunshot wound is almost all cleared up." Sam informed me, stretching out his arms as he sat up in his chair.

"Its because of the syrum." I mumbled as I rolled my head back to look at the tiled ceiling. "He was there, Sam. I think he started to remember. He pulled us out of the water." I rambled on, clearing up my head from the jumble of memories.

"I know. Steve told me everything. Nat and Fury managed to put Pierce down. Nat told Fury he was yours to handle, but Fury killed him anyway. Hydra is gone and SHIELD is destroyed. Stark is already working on forming an official Avengers Facility for us to work out of on our own." Sam said bluntly.

"Im not an Avenger, Sam. Never have been, never will be." I sighed. "Where is Jamie? Is she okay?" I said, closing my eyes and pinching the bridge of my nose.

"She's fine. She's with Nat waiting for you to come out of the hospital. Why don't you get dressed and I will wait with Steve outside. Nat had Clint drop by some clothes for you." Sam said, then I heard his chair creak as he rose to his feet and the click of the door shutting when he left.

I let out a sigh and opened my eyes again, staring at the ceiling. Bucky was out there somewhere. I needed to get him back. I would stop at nothing to find him.

*****

The Winter Soldier pushed his hands deep into his jacket pockets to hide his metal hand from the crowd of people as he pushed his way deeper into the building. He was looking for something specific. Your name is James Buchanan Barnes. Thats what that woman had said. So what made him want to come here to find something so specific? You're my friend. Those were Captain America's words. That's why he went there. To the museum. He wanted to know if it was true. He stumbled upon the memorial hallway of the Howling Commandos and Captain America. There it was. A large picture of him. But he looked different. He had short hair. He read the short memorial beside the photo and bit at the inside of his cheek as his chest tightened when he read the words the love of his life, Maggie Dornwall (Now Miss Magnun.)

You're my fiance. Her desperate sounding words rang clearly in his head. Was she telling the truth? Was he really this person? His stiff legs carried him further down the line of memorials when her picture filled his eyes. She was very beautiful, he had to admit. But the sharp burning in the back of his head came again. He winced and looked away from the photo, closing his eyes to rid the sting in his brain. But a familiar sounding english accent filled his ears and his head perked up to see a woman on a screen in black and white. Her features were sharp and serious, but she seemed like somebody he might have known. He just couldn't remember. But he stayed silent as he listened to the recording.

"Barnes and Dornwall... They were inseparable. They were definitely soul mates. The two of them were a perfect match, and they loved each other dearly. When Bucky died, Maggie took it really hard. But it doesnt matter if you're 13, 39, or 80. When you lose a soulmate, it will hurt for the rest of your life. She was hurting, for sure... I respected them for their loyalty and compassion to each other. They would do anything to protect each other. It was an honor knowing them."

The video ended and Bucky seemed to be at a loss for words. A strange swell of emotion hit him and he wasnt sure how to react. He almost wanted to remember. He wanted to know her. He wanted to feel love again. But everything was still a blank. He flexed his jaw in frustration and pushed through people to escape the museum that felt like it was closing in on him.

*****

I pushed open the door to the new apartment that Natasha had provided us since our old one was wrecked with Steve hovering protectively behind me. He was worried I would do something to hurt myself or make the gunshot wound worse. But as Sam had said, it was almost gone. All that was left was a small scab where the stitches once were. I heard Sam drive away after he dropped us off and Steve waited for me to enter the apartment patiently.

As soon as I walked in, I heard a scramble and the familiar sound of Natasha laughing. "Slow down, kid." she chuckled from around the corner.

"Mommy!" Jamie shrieked as I saw her little form come into view. Her blue eyes were wild and full of excitement and I couldnt help but grin as she ran toward me, flinging her arms around my waist in a hug when she slammed into me. I let out a muffled groan of pain and smiled down at her, hugging her shoulders in return.

"Careful munchkin. Your mommy is still healing." Steve warned with a smile.

Jamie widened her eyes and let me go, mumbling out a sorry. I giggled and knelt down to her height. "Its okay, kiddo. I missed you." I said, palming her soft cheek in my hand.

"I missed you too, Mommy." she smiled. I smirked and rose back up to my full height, looking up to Natasha. "Thank you, for everything." I said to my red headed friend.

"Don't thank me. Its the least I could do after Fury took away your chance of redemption." she smirked.

I sighed and relaxed my shoulders, looking down at Jamie before looking back up at Nat. "Im not that upset about it. I dont even want to think about the monster it could have turned me into or the awful things I would have done to him." I nodded at her.

She pressed her lips into a firm line and eyed me carefully. "The world thinks Fury is dead. He wants to keep it that way. Has a funeral planned for tomorrow. It would be nice if you came." she stated after a while of silence.

I sighed. I had nothing against Fury, he just made some frustrating decisions sometimes. None the less, he was trying to protect everyone. I nodded. "I will. But... I have one more favor to ask you." I said, my shoulders tensing slightly.

"Sure. Anything." she confirmed.

"I want a file. On James Buchanan Barnes. Everything SHIELD could possibly know on the Winter Soldier." I stated clearly.

Nat bit at her lip hesitantly before she answered. "Sure. I should have it for you soon. Anyway, I should get going. Im going to lunch with Bruce." she dismissed herself.

"Bruce?" Steve rasied a brow. Her cheeks flushed red and she brushed past us as she quickly left the apartment without a word. I chuckled internally and gave a glance to Steve.

He sighed and gave me a soft look. "I have to find him, Steve." I mumbled.

"I know you do. I will help." he nodded, and then he walked off toward his bedroom. I relaxed and smiled down at Jamie.

She grinned back up at me and grabbed my hand, pulling me toward the living room. I sat down on the couch and she curled up in my lap, resting her head on my shoulder. "Sing me a song mommy, please?" Jamie requested.

My chest tightened, but it soon relaxed. I smirked and wrapped my arms around Jamie's small body as I began.

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are gray
Youll never know dear
How much I love you
So please dont take my sunshine away

AN: they're getting back into the swing of things. How do you think Bucky is doing?? What is going to happen next?? What will Bucky do???? What did you all think?

Votes, comments and shares are always appreciated! :)

Xoxo