17

"They're going to want to see him." Maria's voice stopped the agents. I raised a brow and glanced at Steve, who returned the stare. His eyes shifted back to Maria and he hesitantly followed her inside the small bunker, Sam following closely to him. Nat was carried in, and I held Jamie's hand as we followed, keeping an eye out for any danger. Maria led us through a maze of hallways, twisting and turning and weaving our way deeper inside until we rounded a corner and entered a large room. There he was. Laying in a bed, a doctor leaning over him and taking check up tests. He waved the doctor out of the way when he saw us enter, and we all paused in questioning. How was this even possible? Wasnt he dead?

"Its about damn time." Nick huffed as he sat up and let his feet dangle over the floor.

"How are you alive? We saw you get cut open! Your heart stopped!" Nat panted in disbelief as she was sat down on a chair beside the bed.

"Tetrodotoxin B... Slows the heart rate down to one beat a minute." he replied.

"But why fake your death? Why not tell anybody?" Steve took a demanding step forward. We knew the pain he caused Nat, and it bothered us that he did that to her.

"Because I needed to escape. And I didnt know who I could trust." Nick spat back.

*****

Jamie's thoughts drifted away as the adults conversed. She usually liked to listen, but she was more focused on something else in that moment. She was so scared of that man with the metal arm. She was afraid he would hurt her family. But then she saw his face. She knew that face. She remembered from all the pictures she had seen. The metal armed man looked exactly like her daddy. The only difference was the small amount of stubble of his face, and the shaggy, matted hair that framed his face. But that was her daddy. She knew it. Her uncle and mommy had told her that he died long ago, but when she saw him, she knew it was him.

When she called out to him, she didnt even realize she had until it stumbled from her lips. She saw him flinch. Did he know he was her daddy? Her eyes connected with his, blue to blue. She wanted to run to him. She wanted to wrap her frail arms around his shoulders and cry into his neck. She wanted to see her daddy. But the fear of him held her back. She didnt know what to feel. She was overjoyed, yet afraid. He tried to kill her mommy. He tried to kill her Uncle Steve. He tried to kill her Auntie Nat. But he was her daddy.

She could hear her mommy and Uncle Steve talking to Nick. She was shocked he was alive, but she didnt pay much attention. She only heard a few ideas. Something about helicarriers. Whatever those were. And something about stopping Insight with override keys. She glanced up at the group of adults as she sat in her mommy's lap and saw three card-looking things. Those must be the override keys. Moments later she was being scooped up and carried down a hall. She relaxed in her mothers arms and kept thinking about that man with the metal arm. She wanted to hug him and tell him everything was okay. He seemed like he was in pain. She didnt like it when people were sad or in pain. It made her sad.

"Mommy, was that man really my daddy?" her small voice asked as she nestled into her mothers chest. Her mommy looked down at her, her hazel eyes looking pained.

"I dont know... Yes." she croaked to her daughter. Jamie frowned. She had made her mommy sad again. Her mommy seemed sad all the time, but tried to be happy around her. They came into a small room with a bed and Maggie set her daughter onto the mattress gently. "Im going to go now, baby. I want you to stay here, okay? They will protect you while Im away. I wont be gone long. I should be back tomorrow." Jamie listened to her mothers calm voice.

"Where are you going? Are you going to look for that man?" she asked.

She watched the light her mothers eyes flicker momentarily. "Maybe. Im just going to try to save a lot of people, okay? I love you." her mom promised and pressed her lips to Jamie's head. Jamie frowned. She wanted to help.

"Dont leave yet mommy." she begged. She was scared of being alone. She was always with someone, usually her mommy or her Uncle Steve. Maggie sighed and sat down behind her.

"I will stay for just a little longer, okay? But then I have to go."

*****

I wrapped an arm around my daughter and rested my chin on top of her head. I hated leaving her like this, but I knew it was for her own good. She would be safe in hiding here. They would take good care of her while I was gone, and when this mess was all over I would come back for her. If I ended up not making it, Steve would come for her. Or Nat. Or Sam. Or maybe even Nick or Maria. No matter what, I knew someone would be there to raise her and protect her. So I just hugged her. I hugged her tight because I didnt know if I would ever see her again.

My sweet, darling, baby girl. I loved her so much. She had brought light back into my life. I held her close to my heart and didnt let go, her small arms wrapping around my body in return. I hugged her as if I was saying goodbye for the last time, and deep down I prayed it wasnt going to be the last. After a long moment of an embrace that was much needed, I kissed the top of her head and pulled away, standing up and moving toward the door.

"I love you." I smiled softly back at her.

"I love you too mommy. Are you sure I cant come?" her small voice begged.

I felt my heart break just a little more. "Not this time, sweetie." I shook my head and left the room. Turning away from her like that was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life. But I had to. I went outside and found Sam and Steve talking out on the small bridge above the creek. "Hey fellas." I called out to them as I approached.

Steve and Sam turned to face me. "Is she alright?" Steve asked, referring to Jamie. I nodded, not able to find the voice strong enough to talk about it. Steve tipped his head to me readily. "Lets suit up." he let out a breath, a smirk working its way onto his lips.

"You're going to go fight in that?" Sam cocked a brow. Steve and I were still in our dirty clothing from the explosion when we found Zola. We didnt pack any other clothes.

"No. If you're going to fight a war, you have to wear a uniform." he smirked. I tilted my head at him curiously. What exactly did he mean by that?

AN: boring chapter... Sorry guys! I wanted to get a deeper feel for what was going through Jamie's mind. Next chapter should be exciting though! What do you think will happen??? Let me know in the comments!!!

I loooove predictions and thoughts on each chapter, even ideas from you for what you want to see happen in the story!

Votes, comments, shares and more are always appreciated!!!

Xoxo