28

Sleep was nice after such a long, emotional day. I was in a blissful, dreamless haze, enjoying my much needed rest. But it was ripped from me all too quickly.

*****

He couldnt keep still. His mind was not at ease. Each growl and squirm he made in his sleep was remnants of the invisible demons lurking in his mind. He was at war with them. The torments of his mind kept him locked in a deep, terrifying sleep. But the horrors of his mind felt so real, he didnt know it was just his imagination at play. The poor man had gone through so much, so much that most people would have been terrified of him. Most people would be locked up in an institution if they were in his place. Theyd be tearing their hair out. But not him. All he could do was scream. The sound escaped past his lips the first time not too loudly, his fists clenching tight at his sides and he began to jerk around, flail and kick and try to fight whatever it was that had him so horribly trapped. He needed to escape. The second scream was much louder, ripping its way from the depths of his lungs like a plea for his life. The horrifying sound had woken the woman at his side.

She had launched herself to sit up, her weary eyes growing wide at the sudden wake-up. He thrashed on the mattress, the sheets tangling around his kicking legs and flailing arms. "Bucky!" She called out to him with worry, but the sound never reached his ears. His head whipped back in forth to match his screams, his dark hair flinging across his face and sticking to his skin from the sweat forming on his pores.

In more of a frantic energy, Maggie stradled over Bucky as he kicked and screamed and fought to get her off of him. Somehow, she managed to pin his arms at his sides, but he continued to fight against her. "Bucky, wake up!" she begged in a cry, worry filled tears slipped from her lashes. Suddenly, Bucky began to cry, tears seeping from his closed eyes as his body began to tremble. His entire mood changed so suddenly, from screaming and fighting, to crying and begging.

"Please... Its not my fault... No choice..." Bucky choked out between sobs. "Make it stop... Hurts..." his voice tumbled out like shattered glass. Maggie could feel his heart slamming in his chest like a frantic bird trying to escape its cage.

Unsure of what else to do, Maggie raised her hand and muttered, "Im sorry." before she swung her arm and slapped him across the cheek hard enough to wake him. His eyes shot open, frantic and terrified. But once his eyes landed on Maggie, his fears washed away and relief over came his shaking body. He was safe. Maggie sniffled, releasing his arms and staring down at him through her tear-blurred vision. Bucky choked back a pathetic seeming sob and threw his arms around her body, hugging her close to himself. He was afraid that if he let go, his nightmares would come true. But his nightmares werent just dreams. They were his reality. They were memories of his past as the Winter Soldier. But that wasnt him anymore. That never stopped the ghosts from attacking him, however.

Maggie layed on her stomach, her head resting against his chest. The sound of his heart filled her ears and she closed her eyes, his arms wrapped tightly around her and hers wrapped tightly around him. "You're okay now. You're safe." she whispered to him.

"Im sorry." the words rolled off his lips so easily. He wanted to say thank you or I love you, but those words were so much harder to say. So he only said Im sorry.

"Bucky, you dont need to apologise for things you arent responsible for." Maggie assured calmly.

Before Bucky could reply, their bedroom door swung open and Jamie stumbled in, a look of panic across her face. "Are you guys okay?" she panted.