18

It felt nice to be back in my own suit. My all black attire fit exactly the same as it did so many years ago, my leather vest and long sleeve black shirt allowed for easy maneuverability. My two small knives were tucked into their places on my combat boots and my large buckknife was slipped into place on my boot as well. I made sure my large pistol was full of ammunition before tucking it into my waistband. I clipped my locket around my neck, pressing a kiss to it before tucking it into my shirt for safe keeping. I pulled on my fighting gloves with a wide grin. Those babies were my favorite weapon. I clicked the buttons on my hands with my thumbs and the gloves gave a little blue spark. Oh yeah, they definitely still worked. I almost tied my hair up into a pony tail until I remembered I had cut it to just above my shoulders, so a ponytail would be useless. I let my blonde hair fall down around my face in messy curls and smiled at myself in the mirror. I looked battle ready.

When Steve said "If you're going to fight in a war, you need a uniform." I didnt really know what to expect from him. But it all became much clearer when we were breaking into the Smithsonian when it closed later that night. Sam helped my brother and I smuggle out our old uniforms from World War II. I loved wearing it again, though I was interested in maybe a few upgrades when this was all over.

"Are you ready?" A familiar voice sounded from behind me. I turned around and smiled at Steve, giving him a nod. He was all dressed up. Stars, stripes, and all. The icon of America. A symbol of hope. Captain Steve Rogers was ready for duty. "Great. Maria is waiting for us. Nat is with Nick waiting for Pierce and the council members to land." he explained.

I nodded, thinking over the plan. Nat and Nick would go after Pierce, though I wanted to be the one to do it. Steve, Sam, and I would lock the override keys into the three helicarriers to stop the Insight program, while Maria handled technological duties from inside SHIELD headquarters. But first, we needed to break into SHIELD in order to reach the carriers during take-off.

Steve tipped his head to me and swivelled around, taking long strides down the hall, expecting me to follow, which I did.

"Are you ready to follow Captain America?" Steve lifted a teasing brow.

I scoffed and shook my head. "Hell no." I smirked, looking back over at my brother. His face fell and he almost seemed stunned at my words. "That little guy from Brooklyn that was too dumb to run from a fight? Im following him." I corrected. His lips pressed into a large grin just as Bucky made his way over to us.

I followed closely to Sam at the back of our little line we had formed. We walked through the trees silently, the SHIELD building just barely coming into view as Maria lead us to where we needed to go. When we reached the building, Maria punched in the code to open a back, unguarded door. We entered into the small hallway it lead into and silently crept deeper inside.

"First door to the left is the COMM room." Maria informed. Steve nodded and took the lead, sneaking up to the door with us following. Steve went right up to the door, knocking twice. I pulled out my pistol, ready for anything when the door finally swung open and a scrawny, young, terrified  looking agent answered it. Steve cocked his head at the sight and delivered one swift hit with his shield, rendering the agent unconcious. We filled the now empty room where windows allowed us to see the helicarriers being prepared for launch. I saw from the corner of my eye as Steve rushed to the intercom and took in a big shaky breath.

He leaned forward and pushed the button as he brought his lips closer to the microphone so he could speak to everyone in the compound. "Attention all SHIELD agents," he began, "This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me and my sister in the last few days... Some of you were even ordered to hunt us down. I think its time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was. It has been taken over by Hydra. Alexander Pierce is their leader. STRIKE and Insight crew are Hydra as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want; absolute control. They shot Nick Fury, and it won't stop there. If you launch those helicarriers today, Hydra will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way... Unless we stop them. I know Im asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high. It always has been. Its a price that Im willing to pay. My sister too. If we are the only ones, then so be it. But Im willing to bet we are not." Steve spoke stoically and moved away from the intercom, standing in front of the window with Sam and I to watch if the helicarriers begin to launch.