4

I followed Steve outside and was immediately hit with shock, frozen in my place at everything swirling around me. People filled the streets, walking in all directions. Cars zoomed this way and that, all different shapes and sizes and colors. Big lights flickered around me, and covered the sides of massive steel and glass buildings and structures. I gasped as I let the sights fill my eyes, and the loud chatter of people talking and horns blaring fill my ears.

"Maggie? You feeling alright?" Steve called back when he turned to check that I was still following.

I swallowed and took in a shaky breath. "Y-yeah... Its just... Beautiful and scary." I smirked in wonder at the crowded world I was now living in.

"I know. You get used to it." Steve nodded from a few feet down the sidewalk. Jamie pulled on my arm and smiled up at me. I smiled back and moved to follow Steve again, getting her hint. Just a few more feet away, Steve paused beside a car and set the box of clothes on top of it. I stopped beside him and watched him pull a set of keys out of his pocket and slide it into the keyhole on the handle of the car door, unlocking the black vehicle. Jamie let go of my hand and opened up the back door, climbing into the seat in the rear of the car. "Dont forget your seatbelt." Steve warned her.

"I know, Uncle Steve." she giggled and pulled the seatbelt across her shoulder, buckling herself in. I softly smiled and shut the door on her side and made my way around to the other side of the car, getting into the passenger side of the car while Steve put the box into the trunk before taking the driver seat.

Steve started the car and we were off. I stared out the window, taking in all the new sights as he drove all the way to his apartment. I was lost in my own mind, and in all the new views I earned of New York. I hardly noticed when he had pulled to a stop outside his apartment complex. "We're here!" Jamie cheered from the back seat, breaking me out of my trance. I climbed out of the car and stood straight up, staring up at the large building. Steve took the box out of the trunk and lead the way up to the building, going inside and making his way down the halls until we came to his apartment. We entered and shut the door. Steve set the box down on a nearby table as I looked around. Jamie skipped into a hallway nearby and Steve turned on the lights.

"This is home." Steve sighed, glancing around. "Its not much, but I'm not a fan of anything big like Tony is." Steve shrugged.

"Tony was the one who was there when I woke up, right?" I asked.

"Yeah." Steve nodded. I glanced around, unsure of what to do or how to act. "I-I know you're nervous. You dont have to be." Steve assured. I nodded and curtly smiled. He searched around the apartment and suddenly stepped toward a nearby shelf, snagging a notebook off of it. He held it out toward me and raised his brows, waiting for me to take it. Slowly I reached out and took it in my own grasp and looked down at the book as I flipped open the lined pages full of Steve's handwriting. "Its full of notes I took when I first woke up. Its got a few things for you to look into that will update you on the world while you were gone. I hope it helps." Steve said, shoving his hands into his pockets.

I smiled and closed the journal, holding it to my chest. "Thank you, Steve. This is great." I stated.

He nodded. "Tonight you can do whatever. Tomorrow I will take you to meet the others. I have a friend that could take you to go buy some new clothes." he said.

"That would be nice. Thank you." I nodded. He smiled and picked up the box of clothes, motioning for me to follow him. So, I did and he took me to a room down the hallway. Inside was pretty bare, and against the far wall was was a plain bed with gray and black sheets and blankets.

"This is your room. I left it blank so you could decorate it." Steve stated, setting the box down beside the door. "There's a dresser over there and a nightstand by the bed. If you need anything, let me know. Im right across the hall. Jamie's room is the next door down from yours." Steve finished speaking. I nodded and tugged my jacket further up on my shoulders.

"Thanks, Steve. I think... I think Im just going to lay down for a bit." I nodded. Steve tipped his head and looked at me with empathy. He let out a small sigh, walked over to me, and gave me a large hug. He squeezed his large arms around me and rested his chin on my head.

"You will be okay. I promise." He said. I nodded, my head against his chest, and he let me go. With one last glance at me and a small smile, he left the room and shut the door quietly. I stood in the center of the room and let out a small sigh. Walking over to the bed, I let myself fall into it, taking the weight off my feet.

It was exhausting pretending to be completely okay. I was broken inside. I was doing my best to be the old me for Steve's sake, and for Jamie's sake. But it was hard. I felt like I had a ton of bricks weighing down on my shoulders. Nothing felt right, but this was all I had. Steve and Jamie. I unclipped my locket from my neck and opened it up, staring lovingly at the picture of my Bucky.

Sound the bugle now
Play it just for me
As the seasons change
Remember how I used to be
Now I cant go on
I cant even start
I've got nothing left
Just an empty heart
Im a soldier- wounded so I must give up the fight
Theres nothing more for me
Lead me away- or leave me lying here
Sound the bugle now
Tell them I dont care
Theres not a road I know
That leads to anywhere
Without a light I fear that I will stumble in the dark
Lay right down and decide not to go on
Then from on high
Somewhere in the distance
Theres a voice that calls
Remember who you are
If you lose yourself
Your courage soon will follow
So be strong tonight
Remember who are
Yeah, you're a soldier now
Fighting in a battle
To be free once more
Yeah that's worth fighting for.

I sighed again, blinking away tears from the song I was singing quietly to myself. Tomorrow would be a new day, and hopefully it would be easier to handle.

AN: New chapter!!! What do you think is going through Maggie's mind? Any predictions on what will happen next?? Keep an eye out for easter eggs and foreshadowing, because even little things will make a difference in the long run!!!

Thank you all soo so much! I hope you're enjoying! Votes comments and more are appreciated always!!

Xoxo