23

One year. One whole year since I last saw Bucky when he left me on that riverbank. One year of dead leads, and no success at finding him. But I wasnt about to give up. Jamie was at about a year and a half old, but she seemed like she was around 16 or 17. It often made me sad that she was growing up so quickly. I wanted to spend time with her as she grew and experience her normal childhood. But that wasnt possible. So, I cherished every moment I had with her. Steve did help me keep looking, but he also went off to fulfill his Avenger duties.

Often times I felt like I was being watched, but I could never find the source. Maybe this constant search for Bucky was making me paranoid. But tonight I had a chance to relax and let go of all of that for a while. We were going to a Stark party at the Stark Tower that Tony was hosting. I felt the need to be protective of Tony, but it was because I knew his father. While Tony and I were friends, he was also like a cousin or nephew that I didnt want getting hurt.

*****

It had been a year. Most of Bucky's memory had returned, and most of his feelings. There were still a few blank spots, and gray areas, but he knew his past for the most part. He loved Maggie. Hydra tried to take away everything, but Maggie was his soulmate. Everytime he saw her from across the street, his gut tightened and his heart beat faster. It took everything in him not to cry. She was there in front of him, after all these years. He could just walk up to her. He wanted so badly, with everything in his bones, to go to her. He was in love with that woman. That was his true love. His fiancee.  The mother of his fast growing child. He was a father. But somehow, he thought he always knew. That day when he went to tell her about the mission involving the train, she was in the bathroom. He saw the pregnancy test in the trash can, but didnt say anything. He figured if she was pregnant, she would have told him. And that day they waited to board the train, he had ghosted his fingers over her stomach, trying to imagine what parenthood would be like. But then he fell. She had every right to think he had died. Most people would have. But something Hydra put in him when he was captured kept him alive, and soon he was the Winter Soldier.

It was tearing him apart being away from his family. Jamie was growing incredibly fast, and it was shocking. He couldn't stand to be away any longer.

*****

I checked over my makeup and hair, pursing my red painted lips in the mirror and making sure the wings on my eyeliner were even. I went to my closet and dug out a nice red pencil dress and put it on along with a pair of black heels that Natasha had forced me to buy. Ever since that fight in D.C. we had become best friends. In fact, I had become close with most of the Avengers over the year that I had known them. Tony always tried to convince me to join the team, but I always refused. He was always nice about it though, and half the time he was just teasing.

A knock on the door pulled my attention and I opened it to reveal Steve. He was in a plaid shirt and jeans of course. This wasnt exactly a formal celebration, but we still dressed nicely. My brother almost looked like a lumber jack, however. "Ready?" he asked.

"Yeah. Lets go." I nodded and smiled. "Where's Jamie?" I asked as we went out into the hallway.

"Right here!" her rich voice rang from behind us as she exited her room. It made my chest almost hurt to see her like that. All dressed up in a silky black dress and flats. Her makeup was nicely done and her hair was straightened. She looked so grown up, being mentally and physically 16 and dolled up for a party. I smiled at my daughter, blinking the stinging tears away from my eyes.

"Alright. Lets go." Steve ushered. Jamie smiled, her steel blue eyes lighting up with excitement. The three of us tugged on our coats and made our way outside to Steve's car.