8

I sat at Jamie's bedside, waiting for her to wake up. Every few hours her small eyes would flutter open before closing again, launching her further into sleep. I hadnt slept since the night we brought her in, and that was 32 hours ago. I had only eaten that pasta when Steve forced me to since then as well. I didnt want to leave her bedside in the chance that she could wake at any second, and I wanted her to wake with her mom by her side so she knew that I cared. After growing up in an abusive household with a mother that didnt care, I wanted to make sure she never felt how I did. Alone. I wanted to raise her like my real father tried to raise me before he died. Not how Charlie raised me, or that woman that gave birth to me. I wanted to care for Jamie as Sara had cared for me. I wanted her to have a happy life full of love, not an empty one full of fear. I would do anything to give that to her. I sat in the chair beside her bed, my body feeling stiff and sore from not moving in so many hours.

"Mommy?" A small, hoarse voice cracked from beside me. I looked down at Jamie quickly, seeing her eyes flutter open. I sat up a little more in hopes that she would stay awake this time. Her eyes shifted around until they fell on me. "Mommy." her lips cracked a small smile.

I sucked in a breath, all thoughts and drowsiness fleeing my body momentarily as I pushed myself closer to her, taking her small hands in mine. "Im here, baby. Im here!" I smiled happily down at the girl.

"Hi, mommy." she blinked her tired eyes.

"Hey, baby girl." I whispered, blinking back joyous tears. "How do you feel?" I asked.

"Sleepy." Jamie giggled.

"Yeah, I bet. Why dont you relax, okay? Im going to go get Dr. Banner." I assured her.

"Okay." she smiled. I smiled in return, and leaned forward, pressing my lips to her forehead before leaving her side. I ran down the hallway to the room Bruce told me I would find him in if I ever needed him. Not bothering to knock, I barged into the dim room where Bruce sat in his desk chair, his face resting on his desk of papers with a pen in hand, drool seeping from his lip as he slept. He must have fallen asleep while working. That poor man had done so much for my daughter, he deserved the rest. But I needed him to wake up. So I walked right up to his desk and place a hand on his shoulder, giving him a small nudge. "Dr. Banner, please." I whispered as he let out a tired groan. I gave him another push and he sat up in his chair, frowning and rubbing at his eyes. "Bruce, she's awake." I said as his eyes began to creep open.

As soon as I said that, he was on his feet and rushing out of his office, down the hall, and to Jamie's room while I followed. Once we stepped in, Jamie's eyes shifted over to us and her lips spread into a grin. "Hi, Uncle Bruce!" Jamie cheered happily.

Bruce chuckled and smiled down at her. "Hey, kid. How do you feel?" He raised his brows in question.

"Sleepy." she answered him just as she answered me. I smirked as I watched Bruce ask her simple questions and checked the monitors on her body. She cooperated extremely well, allowing him to take a few tests and samples for later analysis.

Once he was done he motioned for me to follow him out into the hall. I nodded and followed him, closing her room door. "So, hows she looking doc?" I sighed, stuffing my hands into my pockets.

"Considering everything thats happening, shes doing extremely well. I still want to keep her here to test my theory of mutation. Its a harmless test, I promise." he explained. I nodded to show that I was okay with that. "But, Im more concerned with your health. You look horrible. When was the last time you ate? The last time you slept? Looks like you could use both." he grimaced, trying not to offend me. I wasnt mad. I knew he was right. Im sure I looked like a train wreck.

"It... Its been a while." I croaked shamefully.

"Okay. Here's what I want you to do. Go get a hot meal, and go get some sleep. Thats an order." he said sternly.

I scoffed. "When did you become my boss?" I laughed lightly.

"When I somehow ended up being your daughters doctor. I am a doctor, yes, but I am an Avenger also. I havent had a patient in a long time. You're lucky." he said plainly, his face not even twitching with an expression other than seriousness. I sighed and nodded, my shoulders dropping.

"Fine. Thank you Bruce." I said before turning and going down to the cafeteria, remembering the way that Steve had taken me.

---

I felt a small shake on my shoulder and slowly my eyes crept open to see Howard hovering over me... Then I remembered that the man wasnt actually Howard, but was his son. "Tony?" I croaked from my spot on the bench in the hallway outside of Jamie's room.

"Hey, come on. Wake up." he ushered, one hand on my shoulder. I groaned and sat up, stretching out my arms and raking my hands through my hair. Tony sat down beside my and rested his elbows on his knees as he leaned forward and turned his head to look at me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked curiously.

"I was passing by when I saw you sleeping on a bench." he said with one small chuckle at me. I blushed in embarrassment. "How's the kid?" he asked.

"Shes getting better. Bruce is helping her." I nodded, staring at the door to Jamie's room.

"You know, we have rooms you could stay in. There's a bed. You can order food from the cafeteria." He pressed his lips into a firm line.

"I-Im okay. Thank you, Tony." I said, tucking stray hair behind my ear.

"No. You're not okay. You look horrible. Sleeping on this bench wont help you." he stated.

"So I've been told." I said, rolling my eyes.

He let out a sigh. "You should go home. Bruce is a great doctor. Jamie is in good hands. You need the mental break." he said.

"I cant go home. I need to be with her." I refused.

"No, you don't. Shes fine. You need to go home and rest. For her sake if not yours." he argued.

I sighed in defeat. He was just like his father in some ways. "Why do you care so much? You barely know me." I asked.

He paused for a moment in thought. "Because I care about the kid. Surprising right? I dont know... She's always trying to cheer people up... I've got issues, and she always tries to make me laugh instead of think about those issues... That and I can see you're hurting. I know you're hurting. I know from experience what that looks and feels like. My dad always talked about you when I was growing up. He cared about you, and when you seemingly died I guess he took it as a pretty big hit... He always said you were cheerful and happy looking, and you loved to fight for good. But you are nothing like how he said. You look lost, broken. You wont even raise a fist to anyone anymore." Tony trailed on.

I smiled in memory of Howard. "What ever happened to him?" I asked Tony.

His features fell and he wrung his hands. "Dad and I never really got along too well. I guess we were too much alike. But I loved him anyway. He and my mom... They were in a car accident. Killed them both almost right away. At least thats what the report said. Broke my heart to not be able to say goodbye or make ammends with my father." Tony sighed and stared at the floor.

My heart sank into my stomach and I put a hand on Tony's back, rubbing circles into it. I felt awful for him, and it was hard news to hear. "Howard would be proud of the man you became." I assured softly.

"I like to hope so... You know, he searched for the wreckage. For you and Steve. He spent years looking, but never managed to find you before he died. SHIELD finished the job though." He sighed and sat up straight. "Dont tell anyone we talked about this, okay? And seriously, go home. Get some rest. She will still be here in the morning." he said, stood up, and walked down the hallway. I frowned and rubbed my hands down my face. Maybe he was right. But I didnt have a car, and didnt want to drive anyway. So I leaned back against the wall and succumbed to the drowsiness once more.

AN: a small bonding moment for Maggie and Tony! What do you guys think? And what about Jamie?? Any guesses to what might happen with her???

Votes, comments, predictions, and more are always appreciated!!

Xoxo