14

My chest burned. It was almost like I was suffocating, and the fire flared in my lungs. I could hear a distant voice under the constant ringing in my ears and it forced my eyes open. Everything was a blur, one dark mix of destruction. My head pounded and my limbs felt heavy, but I knew I needed to get up. I found myself still wrapped around Natasha and Jamie, both of them unconscious. And Steve was kneeling beside me. It was his voice I was hearing, but I couldnt make out the words. It seemed like he was urging me to get up. My brows pulled together as I rolled off of the others, laying flat on my back. Thats when I could see everything. The gray sky of early morning was gazing down on us. The building we had been inside was completely destroyed. Ash clung to my hair and skin, same as everyone, and embers floated through the air. It almost looked like it was snowing. I saw Steve hover over me, looking at my face with concern as the ringing in my ears slowly subsided. I was sure that if it wasnt for being a supersoldier, I would still be knocked out cold. I blinked my eyes, each time I opened them the world slowly became clearer.

"Mags? Mags, can you hear me?" Steve palmed my cheek, trying to get a response from me.

"Jamie... Help Jamie." I groaned, sitting up. I wasnt thinking about anything else. My only worry was that she could be hurt. We were lucky to survive. Steve nodded in understanding and moved away from me, going to the two girls beside me. I sat up painfully and brought myself to my knees beside Steve, my whole body tense. Steve had rolled Nat off of Jamie already and I looked anxiously at him while he checked over my daughter for any injuries.

"She is okay. No harm." Steve assured me. My body instantly relaxed with relief and I let out a breath I didnt know I was holding. I smiled down at my little girl. She was so brave and so strong and so tough. I pulled myself up to my feet and bent down, scooping her up into my arms. She nestled her head into my shoulder and I kept a tight hold on her as I carried her, bringing us out of our little hole we hid inside. Steve slung Nat over his shoulder and carried his shield in the other hand. I walked out of the crumpled chunks of walls and steel. There was nothing left of the building. It was just a maze of rocks and embers. I weaved my way through, Steve close behind, and made my way to the dirt road outside. I was lost. I was scared for my daughter. I was scared that we were alone in this. So I halted, staring at the grey horizon. My daughter didnt deserve to go through any of this. She was innocent and sweet. She deserved to be happy and carefree. She deserved to grow up without fear, and with her father. Bucky would be proud of her. My eyes shifted up to the cloudless sky and I closed my eyes, hoping he was watching down on us. I felt a warm sensation on my cheek and I opened my eyes again, realizing that I had begun to cry.

"Mags?" Steve asked softly behind me. His voice was filled with concern.

I slowly swivelled around to face him, his face was coated with dirt and ash, just as Nat, Jamie, and mine were. Im sure streaks were appearing in the grime of my cheeks, making it obvious of my tears. "Where do we go now?" my voice cracked.

Steve's shoulders slumped, and he looked defeated. But then a twinkle of hope appeared deep within his features. "I know a place." he confirmed. My stomach churned and I gave him a small nod, barely even able to be seen. But he caught it. He marched forward, carrying Nat and his shield, and I followed him.

I watched Nat sway with each of Steve's steps, and I chewed at my lip in thought. I didn't trust her before. I wasnt sure if I could. But after seeing her throw herself over Jamie to protect her, and not even hesitate, I changed my mind. She helped us find this place. She helped us discover the awful secrets laying under the layers of SHIELD. She wasnt acting. She was honest. She was helpful. I could never thank her enough for that. She was my friend. Probably my only friend. And that made her so much more important to me. She was my best friend. Peggy would always hold a special place in my heart, but Nat filled up a new spot right beside it. If it ever came down to it, I would trust her and Steve to raise Jamie. I didnt think they would ever love each other romantically, but they loved each other as family and would raise her as a team if need be. And I admired that.