22

"Where are you going?" Steve sounded alarmed when I walked through the house in my new suit. I was carrying around a black backpack, stuffing it with water bottles, food, and my new found evidence on a possible lead.

"Im just going out for the night. I will be back by morning. Keep an eye on Jamie, please." I mumbled, focused on my task.

"Are you serious? Look, I want to find him just as badly as you do, but this is too far." Steve rejected. "You cant just leave without telling me first."

"So this is me telling you. Im leaving for the night and I will be back by morning." I huffed in annoyance at my little brother.

Steve rolled his eyes. "You know what I mean." he said. I sighed in defeat, knowing there was no way he was going to stop me. Jamie still lay tucked in bed and it was nearing 11p.m. This mission I was going on was an easy one. Disruptions in the deeper, more violent areas of New York were worth investigating. Of course it could just be gang activity, but I was on high alert of anything dangerous. Besides, even if it isnt him, I could just put an end to something bad anyway, such as gang activities.

I zipped my backpack closed and slung it over my shoulder, sighing as I turned to look at Steve. "Im sorry Steve. But I have to do this. I will be fine, I promise Stevie." I smiled comfortingly.

"I know that its already been almost a month since he disappeared, but you dont need to worry yourself so much." Steve said, his eyebrows pressing together in a sad frown.

"You dont need to worry yourself either Steve. I can handle myself. I will be back in a few hours." I assured quietly to prevent waking up Jamie. He sighed and his shoulders slumped. Feeling almost sorry for my brother, I sighed and pulled him into a hug, wrapping my arms around his muscular torso. He hugged me in return for a few seconds before I pulled out of his grasp and quickly left the apartment, silently walking toward my destination. Once I made it about a block, I glanced around to make sure nobody was around, but the city was sleeping. Moving my legs into a jog, I figured I would get there in about thirty minutes.

*****

Bucky lifted his head when the movement across the street had caught his attention. He was outside of the apartment that she lived in, unable to sleep in fear of more burning nightmares. He quickly ducked down in hiding, making sure she wouldnt be able to see him. All those years of being Hydra's prize assassin made it easy for him to disappear in plain sight. He eyed her carefully from across the street under the cover of dark. The city was sleeping, and the starless sky was an endless black void above them. She was in a skin tight, black catsuit and he couldn't take his eyes off of her for one second. She silently snuck down to the side walk, tugging her backpack up higher on her back. Her hair seemed shorter than in his few memories, but she was still just as beautiful. As she walked quietly down the block, she paused and glanced around. Suddenly, she was moving at a steady jog and Bucky couldnt help but follow her. Why was she out so late? Why was she dressed like that? And where was she going, acting so suspiciously?

He had been watching his family from afar for almost a month. He never spoke to them, and never let them see him. His memories were still coming back and he had already filled over half of one of his journals with memories and photo's he had found. Not once had she snuck out like this. After watching them, he felt almost protective of them. But he also was still empty. He was the Winter Soldier. But he felt like he had to keep them all safe, even from himself. He didnt feel like a father, or a friend, or a fiance. He just couldnt seem to make himself leave them. So he silently followed, his boot clad feet softly padded on the cement, hardly audible enough for even his own ears to hear. He followed her silently, making sure to stay in the shadows of the sidewalk and about a block behind so she wouldnt see him.