7

There was a crash of glass that shot me out of bed and running into Jamie's room where the sound had come from. I busted through the door, only to have Steve running up beside me as well. On the floor lay a broken picture, shards of glass shattered on the floor. Jamie still seemed to be asleep, but she was making soft whimpers and was shifting around in her blankets. Another picture frame slid off its place on the shelf and shattered on the floor. How could that even be possible? Jamie let out a scream in her sleep and I rushed to her bedside while Steve tried to find what was making pictures fall.

"Jamie! Jamie, come on baby girl, wake up!" I panicked, brushing the hair from her face and giving her a small shake. "Please, its mommy! Wake up for mommy!" I kept begging, gripping her shoulders lightly and shaking them to try to wake her up. Suddenly, a loud bang hit her bedroom window, and again and again it came. My eyes widened and I stared through the glass as a sleek black crow flew into the window, over and over and over again as it cawed. "Steve do something!" I screamed, beginning to tremble with nerves as Jamie let out another howl in her sleep. Steve ran out of the room and left me alone, with pictures falling and breaking and a crow slamming itself into the window repeatedly.

I continued to shake my daughters shoulders in a fight to pull her from her dream, and tears streamed down my cheeks in fear. I had no idea what in the hell was happening, but I needed to fix it. I needed to help my daughter. Soon, Steve ran back into the room with a large bowl of ice water. I quickly caught on to his idea and moved out of the way as he dumped it all on top of the sleeping girl. Her steel blue eyes shot open and she sat upright in her bed with a gasp from the cold, goosebumps trailing across her arms.

The poor child began to shiver and the crow flew away. No more pictures broke, and everything became calm once again. "M-mommy?" Jamie whimpered between shivers.

"Oh, my god." I whispered to myself as I rushed to her side just as her body fell limp and she went unconscious. I held her ragdoll body up in my arms, not caring about getting wet from the ice water that had soaked her clothes, and hugged her to my chest. I looked up to Steve in concern, hoping he had some answers. But he only looked at me with the same worry held in his eyes.

---

"Do you have an idea of what could have happened?" I asked worriedly, my arms crossed over my chest tightly as I stared through the glass at Jamie's unconscious body laying in her hospital bed. She had tubes and wires and monitors hooked up all over to her as she slept peacefully. It sent chills through my body to see her like that, with her golden hair layed out like a halo around her head. It was almost angelic.

Steve and I had rushed her to SHIELD headquarters where Dr. Banner did a medical exam on her, took a few tests, and was drawing up numerous conclusions. I trusted Dr. Banner, and wanted to hear what could have happened to my little girl. We had already been there for nearly twelve hours and not once had she woken. Steve was pacing in the hallway behind me as I watched her chest rise and fall with each breath.

"Well... I have a few ideas." Bruce stated from his stance beside me. I turned my head to look at him, but he kept his eyes on Jamie. "One of which, actually makes a bit of sense."

"What is it?" I asked.

Bruce sighed, his tired features struggling to stay focused. He had been awake since we brought her in at nearly three in the morning. He had worked relentlessly and Im sure he hadn't eaten anything. I hadn't and I know Steve hadnt either. "She could just be exhausted. Her body is tired and went unconscious to heal." he said. I arched a brow, more confused than ever. What could make her so tired? "Remember when I told you that most humans use about 10% of their brains, and that Jamie was using 25%?" he finally looked down at me.