Chapter 29

"Look who finally arrived!" Ross teased from out on the ice. He skated to the sidelines and stuck his tongue out at me. 

"Are you gonna skate?" Riker asked. I could tell, just by looking at his fidgeting form that he was antsy to get onto the ice. 

"I'll be alright, Rik, you can go play..." I mumbled, avoiding eye contact. 

"Are you sure?" I nodded and he ran to get a pair of skates. I sat with the penguin, watching everyone skate. Stormie was with all the other female adults and Mark was on the ice with the boys. Rydel and Beauty were off to once side of the rink, skating in figure eights. Both laughing. I wanted to skate, but I'm too clumsy. The Lynches would be mad if I broke a bone and the had to postpone the tour. After watching the intense game of hockey, I pulled out my phone and sent a quick text to Quinn. She didn't respond, which meant she was in classes right now. 

"Hey," I looked over too see one of the boy cousins from earlier. I'm pretty sure it was Gus... but I dunno. 

"Hi," I mumbled back, not looking over at him. 

"What are you doing?" He asked,

"Watching... what are you doing?" I asked back slowly. 

"Same..."

"Why aren't you playing?" I asked confused, everyone else was on the ice. He held up his wrist that was wrapped in a tensor bandage.  

"I sprained my wrist playing basketball at school, and my mom wouldn't let me on the ice." He laughed. I smiled slightly. 

"Do you wanna go get some hot chocolate from the main building?" He asked randomly. I looked around, everyone was too engrossed in whatever they were doing to even notice me. I shrugged and stood up, following him out two double doors. We walked through a hallway, passing the childcare area, curling rink and loads of vending machines. We passed through another set of double doors and the smell of chlorine filled my nose. There was a little cafe across from the reception desk. Past that were the doors to the swimming pool. We went in the line and quickly ended up at the front. 

"Hey Gus, whose your friend?" The girl behind the counter asked, leaning on her elbows. 

"My cousin, Ryla. Can we get two hot chocolates?" He beamed,

"Coming up," She grinned, grabbing two cups and filling them. "Whipped cream or mini marsh-mellows?"

"Both!" Gus laughed. The girl laughed as well and I more or less awkwardly stood off to the side. He handed her a bill and she quickly made him change. He gave he back some of the change, telling her it was a tip. He passed me a cup and I took a sip. 

"Mmm..." I hummed as a marsh-mellow melted in my mouth. "Thanks," I smiled at Gus. 

"No problem, thanks for walking with me." I grinned at him as we started back towards the ice rink. 

"So what's with the penguin?" He asked, as we reached he first set of double door. I glanced down at the little black and white bird, a smile sneaking onto my face. 

"My boyfrien- well, ex-boyfriend gave it to me..." he looked at me questioningly. "He moved to Canada a few weeks ago..." I sighed. 

"Oh, I'm sorry." 

"Thanks," I smiled, as we got back to the last double doors. 

"WHERE'S RY?!" I heard Riker yell, panic set out in the room. 

"Oi, I'M FINE!" I yelled from out of sight. 

"Ryla! You can't just leave without telling anyone!" Rocky yelled, clearly upset at my lack of explanation. 

"I did tell someone," I told them, I was about to be a sass bitter child. 

"Who?" Ross glared at me. 

"Him," I pointed back at Gus, who was leaning against the wall, sipping his hot chocolate, clearly not listening to the conversation. 

"Hmm?" Gus looked up from his drink. "Oh, yea she was with me." Riker, Ross, Rocky and Ryland gave him disapproving looks but I brushed it off. 

"There is no need he you guys to be this upset when Mom and Dad aren't." I groaned as they led me back to the bleachers. Riker walked off to the desk. "Where's he going?" I asked, my eyes following him. 

"To get you skates," Rocky told me. 

"But- I don't wanna skate."

"Well, clearly you can't be trusted out here by yourself," Ross grumbled. I rolled my eyes. After Riker returned with some skates that would fit me, he kneeled in front of my and stripped off my sneakers. I sat with my arms crossed over my chest, glaring at his messy mop of blonde hair. 

"There, now, let's go." He pulled me too my feet and I clumsily walked after him. I stepped onto the ice, and watched Riker skate back out to the game. 

"They have chairs, if you need one..." Gus snickered jokingly from the other side of the plastic. 

"Shut up," I stuck my tongue out as I inched along the outside of the rink, my grip in the side board never letting off. 

"You got this," Gus encouraged. I rolled my eyes and pushed off slightly. The only people on the rink were the Lynches and their family- meaning they must've reserved the rink for the afternoon. "I dare you to skate from one side to the other," Gus grinned, clearly entertained by my lack of skating knowledge. 

"No way." I laughed. 

"Come on, do it for the penguin!" He held up Webber's penguin. 

"Ugh, fine." I gulped and slowly lifted my hand off the side. I pushed forwards... can't take it back now... I followed suit and kept repeating my actions. Everything went great- until I was laying face first in the ice. A crowd of family member surrounding me, and the guy from the staff came and rescued me from my family. He helped me up, I noticed blood on the ice, but I couldn't really focus on it. He took me into an office, not allowing family members in. 

"That was quite a fall," He sent me a small smile. I nodded. He was kind of cute, he had light brown hair and green eyes. He couldn't of been older than 21. He gave me first aid treatment, while keeping me involved in a conversation. "Alright, nothing too bad, a cut above your eye, you nose was bleeding- it isn't broken though and a small concussion. I think you should rest back here for a while." He told me. I nodded. (A/N: Lol this skate instructor is from my community center. He tied my friend and I's skates and talked with us the whole time we were there.)

Before I knew it we were back on the bus for the night. I was still dizzy and couldn't registered what anyone was saying to me. But oh well. At least I had my penguin....