Siblings (Fire)

Marinette hummed to herself, tugging at the sleeve she was adjusting. "Hold still," she muttered.

"I'm sorry, Marine." Aimée apologized. "It's just, . . . well, why am I measuring the suit and not Jian?"

"I told you; Jian is helping Maman and Papa and you're closer to his size anyways."

The younger sibling frowned as her chin was forced upward. "I hate being a model. I don't know how your boyfriend deals other this everyday."

"H-he's not my boyfriend," said the tailor as she tried to focus on her work.

"Ow!" Aimée cried.

"Sorry," Marinette said, pulling her needle away from her sister. The suit drooped down her shoulders and Marinette panicked as she put them up. "Nonono. No. Stay up, damnit."

"Who are we making this suit for again?"

"Nino," she answered, not taking her eyes off her work. "We have a class play coming up and he's chosen to be the prince."

Aimée raised an eyebrow in shock. "Not your boyfriend?"

"He's not my boyfriend," Matinette corrected. She steadily placed more pins into the folds fabric on the side of the jacket for her future stitching. "We picked parts out of a hat, and Nino got the Prince. Julika is the Princess, Alya is the hand maiden, Kim is the Bulter. Adrien is an old woman, I'm was random staff member, and Chloe was the cook. She and I switched places since she didn't want anything to do with soup. Although, knowing my stage fright, I gave my roll to Alix, you made a bet with Kim that she could act better, so. . . There's that."

"Did you give up your part because you had lines that interacted with Adrien and seeing him old ruined the magic?"

Marinette paused for a while and even jilted her tailoring. "Uh. . . I wanted to work on costume design is all."

"Old Adrien turn off it is." She confirmed.

---

Jian walked towards the old college building, eyes reading the same sign that had stood there since the beginning of his life in Paris. The bricks were still red, the clock was still ticking, the campus front still had its crack with that piece of gum wedged into it. He shook his head and hopped up the once higher steps. At the top, he gripped the handle and pulled it open.

Waiting for him was a girl with pink hair. "Who are you?" she asked, suspicion written all over the was she cowered behind the door.

"I'm Marinette's older brother, Liu Jian."

"What kinda name's Lee-oo?" she spat. "And her last name isn't Gee-in. It's Dupain-Cheng."

He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. He had no time to explain the reason behind their different names. He had a bakery to run. "Listen. I need to take my sister home right now."

"Why?"

"So we can keep our bakery open during business hours like our schedule says."

"Why not do it yourself?"

"Because someone has to keep check of stock, count inventory, record the temperatures of the food for health and wellness of consumers, count the number of wraps and packaging, help unload the truck when it comes, figure out an entire months worth of scheduling, and of course, make the actual good and man the register. Is any of this going through your head?"

"I'll be right back."

---

Alix bursted into the room, arms flung out from the rush in. "Marinette. Your brother is here for you."

The two sisters froze and looked back at each other nervously. The older one turned back to her friend and asked, "did you tell him I'm busy?"

---

"She's busy." Alix deadpanned the moment she opened the door.

Jian was unimpressed. "Well, tell her and Aime that they've got to come home now."

"Or what?" the girl challenged.

"Or the oven is gonna need more wood today."

---

"Fuck!" was the reaction when Alix repeated the message. Marinette scrambled as she took the suit off of her sister who was panicking by shuffling. The girls quickly grabbed their things and raced out of the classroom.

Out in the gym, everyone stared at the frantic pair race down the stair. "Hold on! I forgot my fabric scissors!" Marinette shouted.

"Hurry up!" Aimée said as she flew down the stairs without her sister.

"Traitor!" the older sibling yelled as she raced back to the room.

"I'm a survivor!"

Adrien looked at his best friend and Alya. "What's that about?"

Alix shrugged as she approached them. "Their brother said something like, "the oven needs wood" or whatever."

"Shit." Nino said. All eyes turned to him in question. "Once when I was over for a playdate with Mari, she didn't listen to her brother to help him clean up. Next day, she came to school bawling and said her stuffed bear was burned up." Everyone shuddered. "He got punished of course, but one time her little sister tried to punch a dog that tried to bite her while the owner was there, and her notes for literature were burned to ash."

"Is he an arsonist?" Alya asked.

"Yes," Marinette answered as she raced by them. "See you all tomorrow!"

"Bye," they said, most everyone in nervous tones.