Siblings (Discover)

Marinette looked up at Jian, angrily. He looked down at her with matched anger. "Where are you going?"

"Back to school," she said, trying to release her arm.

"That's where the akuma is."

"I left my physics notebook there," she said. "I have to get it to do my homework. It's due tomorrow." Her voice was panicky and her arm jerked in his grip, but he glared.

"You can retake the notes, Marinette. You're not going to run into the middle of an Akuma rampage." her mother ordered as she passed by. "Listen to your brother."

"But—"

"Notes are replaceable, Marine. You are not." she added.

Marinette bit her lip to not shout out, 'that's exactly why I need to go! I'm —'

"The superheroes can handle the situation," Jian said with a glare. "You're not going near the school."

She ripped her arm away. "Fine, I'll go to my room."

Jian looked towards Aimée. She looked back and saw his eyes narrow while Marinette stomped up her stairs. "Marinette." she called. Said girl turned back towards her.

"Can I practice my gameplay with you upstairs? I'm going to show up Rei tomorrow."

Her eyes twitched, and Aimée climbed passed her anyway into her room.

---

Jian studied the news and Chat Noir's movements. He was being driven back farther, towards the crowd, but he was slamming the akuma and punching to shove it away. The news reported no signs of Ladybug entering the scene or of any sightings within the vicinity. He huffed deeply. "Correlation doesn't prove causation," he muttered to himself.

His phone buzzed. Aimée.

"Hey Rei, guess what game I'm playing."

"No. The bug still hasn't been found. I've been trying to figure out the coding so I can fix it, but nothing yet. Any luck with you?"

"I've been tearing these dudes apart. Ha! Another high score!" Jian rolled his eyes. "But they're all easy right now."

"Have you found any other bugs in the patch?"

---

Aimée looked over to not find Marinette around her desk, and listened closely, turning down the game volume. She didn't heard any scribbling or creaking from the bed. Her eyes widened.

---

"Crap! That dude cheated!"

Jian turned to the TV and saw Ladybug appear and start to help out her partner. His phone call ended and he shut off the program. His mother looked at him concerned, but he didn't make eye contact and walked straight to his room. He stared at the ceiling, a frown on his face with his mind repeating, 'Correlation doesn't prove causation.'

---

Marinette looked up at Jian, he stared down with a numb face when she was at the bottom of the house stairs. Her face paled and her fingers fidgeted. "A-are you okay?"

"Are you her?" he asked, skipping pleasantries.

She froze at the question. His empty stare didn't help. "A-am I who?"

"Ladybug."

"Of course not! she yelled. "How can I be Ladybug, it doesn't make any sense. She's a perfect hero and I'm clumsy. And, you know! It can't be me! You know me better than anyone. You practically raised me." She quickly shut her mouth and turned away. He couldn't meet her eyes as well.

"So. . . " She was quiet. "When were you planning to tell the family you were a super hero?"

Her eyes grew twice their size and she shook her head. "You can't tell them, Jian. If anyone knew who I was, they could get caught by Hawkmoth and tell him somehow. I don't know exactly how his mind powers work, but if he could read thoughts and memories as well as their emotions, I could be discovered and targeted in my civilian form; or worse, he'll start to purposefully attack my friends and all of you. No one can know. Even with my powers, I can still be akumatized, so even Chat Noir can't know."

Jian nodded and climbed down the stairs to meet up to her.

Tear began to form. "Please, promise you won't tell anyone."

"Aimée was suspicious, but I didn't confirm anything."

"Thank you."

He petted her hair and hugged her. She hugged back tightly. His muscles were tight, but he forced himself to stray by her side.

---

A week passed. Another Akuma attacked at the town square. Ladybug showed up with Chat Noir and they fought valiantly. Neither let up until the monster was stopped.

That day, she came home with a cut on her lip, similar to the one Ladybug had on the TV. He knew why and he could only say, "You need to be careful."