Medieval AU

Adrien was on the floor with the other nobles in the ball room. They talked and gossiped about their affairs at home. He was never quite as interested as his one friend, Chloe.

He had just escaped the conversations of who had the best pets and land. He walked about the ballroom where people drank and chatted as though he threw a reunion to remind him who was wealthy.

He was passing by some groups when one of the nobles were being followed by a girl with hair, darker than he'd ever seen. Her eyes were large at the sight of the golden chandeliers and marble floor around him. He could not place what was of her eyes, but the lids of her eyes seemed to slightly be covered. Her limbs were pressed close to herself, hands folded neatly in front and her tiny figure was slow next to the nobles.

He had never seen this girl before. She was walking steadily by a young, Nino he believed. She was in such a small pace that the nobleman had to stop a few times in order for her to approach. He took her hand and smiled at her. She frowned at him, staring down at her feet where they were hidden by a long and flowing dress, one that had foreign design. He said something to her. Something witty. Something smart. She laughed. He had approached towards them enough to hear her gentle laughter. What she was mystified him. Who was this girl, a girl he had never once seen before coming into his court and awing the gentlemen around her, a girl the caught the attention of all. As he grew nearer, conservation changed from land to marriage to concubines.

It was beautiful. The way she covered her mouth with her gloved hands. The way her body opened up from the joke. The way her voice sounded when talking to Nino.

He approached the two with what a smile. Before he even came to a stop, the girl saw him and tapped the distracted Nino's shoulder and whispered, "the king." Nino turned his head to see Adrien and his smile dropped. His arm snaked down the girl's arm and he held onto her hand. As cheerful and sweet as pastries, she had the audacity to wave at him like a child. "Hello, Sir." she greeted.

Nino stood by her, trying to make her seem small and unnoticed. "Hello, my King." he said with a broken smile. "How are you this fine day?"

"I am doing well as of this day." His eyes landed on the mysterious girl. "And, may I ask why you are attended with this young lady instead not with your wife?"

Marinette sighed and answered. "Lady Alya had fallen ill just before your invitations came through." Leaning in she whispered. "The lady was so afraid of her husband bedding another that she sent me in her stead to watch the poor fellow." Nino tightened his grip on her small hand. He was to pull her away, but the King took her other hand and brought it to his lips. The two were still and taken back from his sudden action.

Adrien smirked. He had caused the young girl to turn red and to fall into a strange silence. "Tis a shame that Alya cannot attend. But I am sure Nino could hold his own for a single dance."

She took her hand out from his, to much his dismay. She magnates to Nino's side and a burning empty pit in his stomach rises in anger. "I'm sorry, your highness. But I do wish to stay by Nino's side. The Lady commanded it."

Her voice, her tone, her stance. She was facing away from him. She didn't want anything to do with the king. The one who had allowed her to live this far. This girl, dressed up in an elegant gown, who had raven hair tied up, and large oceans for eyes that engulfed his attention to only her, this girl out right refused a dance with her king. He offered his hand. "And your King commands a dance." She stood there, staring at his open hand. She hesitated as she stretched out her hand to his own. She slipped out of the protective Nino's arm and was suddenly held by a King. Her hands were small and her steps smaller. They took a long time to move anywhere.

He fooled down on her legs and dress. It barely swayed. She kept her eyes away from his gaze. "Are you injured, . . . "

She pressed her lips together, eyes unsure of the man she was taken by. His voice sounded gentle, but she remembered his predecessor and her family in the city. "No," she said. "My mother always said the woman who walk faster than men are unattractive."

"Are you here to find a man to marry then?" Adrien asked.

She gave a quick glance around the court. The men had lazy eyes and chests filled and puffed with arrogance. The women wore rocks and layers of clothes that would suffocate her if she dared to try them on her own skin. No person in the ballroom had smiles of greeting, only competition. If she were to marry in a noble house, this she would fear everyday. "Afraid I am," she whispered to herself.

They were at the floor, and Adrien readied a hand on her waist. She met his other with her own hand and placed one on his shoulder. She looked him in the eyes and saw them staring down at her. They were more soft than she thought they would be. They looked large, rounded, and vivid in color. They reminded her of her father's eyes. They were as green and as soft.

Unknown to her, they began dancing. "What is your name?" he asked. "Nino never introduced you."

She smiled to herself looking over at her friend at the edge of a ballroom. "He can be like that. Protective. He might not want me saying my name at all tonight."

"Rather rude for a man that isn't your father to control what you say." the King noted.

She continued to smile, now facing the king. "Though, I do think of him like a brother. And I do find reason for his controlling manner."

"Does that mean I will never learn your name?"

"Most likely, your majesty."

He smiled with playfulness making him giddy. "Then I look forward to finding it.