Chapter 1

I quietly make my way to the Academy with my hands stuffed in my pockets.

Why did I have that dream? I mumble softly to myself and sigh. I remembered they would be assigning our teams today so my slow walk became a jog and I made it 15 minutes early. Almost all the students were there, except some of the girls. A boy with red hair in a low ponytail and gray eyes swung his arm around my shoulder.

"So...Hotaru, isn't it about time we start dating?" he whispers huskily into my ear, but I show no reaction.

I slowly reach into my weapon bag, my hand resting there in case I needed a kunai.

"For the last time, Tomoe, please stop bothering me. I'm not interested," I replied dully and he smirked.

"You're hard to get, huh. I can play that game too," he mumbled again and I scoffed.

"Don't test me," I replied and held a kunai against his neck. "Now leave me alone."

He backed down, but that stupid smirk was still plastered on his face. This was a normal thing for me, Tomoe has been bothering me since we entered the Academy. He was annoying, but I had to deal with him. Sighing heavily, I slumped in my seat as the girls fought over who's sitting with Sasuke.

Sasuke...I didn't see what was so good or cool about him, he seemed like a normal, stuck up guy.

"Can you guys let him decide who he wants to sit with?" I asked the girls as politely as possible, making their heads turn to me.

"You just want to steal him away, don't you?" they asked angrily.

I shook my head and waved my hands defensively. "No, don't get the wrong idea, I don't want to sit with him at all. Just uh keep doing your things I guess," I mumbled, which shut them up for a while.

I watched as a blonde who wore orange jumped up on the desk and stared straight at Sasuke. I giggled softly at this. No one dared to stare Sasuke down like that. The girls started yelling at Naruto for getting in Sasuke's face, but their anger increased when someone pushed Naruto from behind, making their lips crash together.

I watched as the girls stared wide eyed at Naruto while he and Sasuke wiped their lips. They proceeded to beat him to a pulp. As much as I wanted to help the poor guy, I didn't want to feel the wrath of the fan girls, which happened to be all of the girls in my class. Well, besides Hinata and I.

I didn't know her very much. I knew she was a Hyuga and that she definitely did not like Sasuke. From my observations, I'm pretty sure she has a thing for Naruto.

As for me? I wasn't interested in anyone. I never really got to know any of the guys or girls, so I couldn't really decide whether I had romantic feelings for them or not. Really, the only thing on my mind was coping with life and not being a burden to others.

The fighting and my thoughts came to a halt when Iruka sensei walked in. Everyone sat in a seat. Naruto found a seat next to Sakura and Sasuke, while I was sadly sandwiched between Tomoe and his equally annoying best friend Jing.

Iruka-sensei bowed, and we did the same in return. Once we sat down, Naruto immediately raised his hand.

"We're getting our teams, right?" he asked. Sensei smiled and nodded. "You're right, Naruto. Like Naruto asked, you all are getting your teams. Since we have an uneven number of students, one team will be a team of four. First, Team 7 consists of Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno-"

"Yes!" Naruto cheered, while Sakura groaned.

"-and Sasuke Uchiha," Iruka continued. This time, Naruto groaned and Sakura cheered. "Team 7 has the fourth member, Hotaru Hamasaki."