Chapter 21

"We have to have a preliminary exam before we can move on to the real one," Hayate told us after he was done coughing. My eyes widened.

"A what?" Sakura asked softly.

"Preliminary!? Just what do you mean by that?" Shikamaru yelled angrily and I glared at Hayate.

"There's no way I just went through that forest, got bitten by some crazy guy, and now I have to go through a preliminary exam before going through the real one," I yelled and people gave me confused looks while Sasuke, Sakura, and the elders gave me frightened and worried ones.

"Well, you see, the first and second exams might've been too easy. The fact is, we never expected so many of you to still be here. According to the rules of the Chunin Exams, a preliminary round can be held at any stage in order to reduce the number of candidates remaining," he explained and I clicked my tongue in annoyance.

"Damnit!" I hissed.

"Look, as Lord Hokage said before, many important people are here to watch and they've come to see the best. We don't want to waste their time, so if any of you feel you're not in top physical condition, now's your chance to bow out. The preliminary exams will start immediately," Hayate continued and started coughing again. My eyebrow twitched and a wicked smile appeared on my face. A dark aura surrounded me as I glared at the proctor.

"What. Did. You. Say? We're going to start this test now?" I asked him and tilted my head slightly. I heard laughing and I turned to see Michi.

"Wow, Hotaru! You remind me of Yukina so much. She did the same thing during her exam! But please, listen to your proctor," Michi laughed and I sulked.

"Oh yeah, the winners will be determined by one-on-one combat, sudden death," Hayate added and I sighed. But my Hoshigan...wait, crap! I forgot to tell Michi to heal me! I guess we'll do it during the others' turns... "So like I said, if there's anyone who doesn't feel up to it, nows the time to raise your hand."

Suddenly, my mark started hurting again. A rush of pain went through my neck and I faced Michi. I held my neck and tried not to lose my balance. I squinted as my eyesight became blurry, but I blinked and shook my head. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Tomoe. My eyes widened.

"If you want to quit, go right on ahead. But knowing you, you're going to fight to the end, isn't that right?" he mumbled without even facing me. I looked down, stood up straight and nodded.

"Yeah. I'm not letting this stupid mark get to me," I replied. Then, a hand shot up, which made me furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"Alright, you've got me. I'm out," Kabuto stated. Hayate coughed and flipped though the pages of his clipboard.

"Kabuto Yakushi of the Leaf Village, right? Okay. You can go on and step back," Hayate told him and I shrugged. At least now the numbers are even...

"Kabuto, wait! I don't get this. What's going on?" Naruto yelled which made my eyebrows shoot up in surprise. What happened during the exams? When did they become friends?

"Oh Naruto, I'm sorry. My body's just too beat up. I can't hack it. The truth is, ever since that orientation and that fight with the Sound Village shinobi, I've had no hearing at all in my left ear. And now to have to put my life on the line, to fight again right away without a break? I can't do it," Kabuto explained and Naruto looked down in disappointment. He left the room and I glared. Something was still off about that guy.