Chapter 31

I walked to our usual meeting spot only to find that none of my teammates were there. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Where the hell are they? I decided to go ask the Hokage about my team's whereabouts. The Hokage...now that I think about it, I haven't seen her since that time at the hospital with Sasuke.

When I arrived at the door of her office, I hesitated to knock. Finally, after a while of standing there, I lightly hit my fist against the door.

"Come in," I heard a female voice call out. I took a deep breath and walked in. I bowed my head in respect.

"Hello, Lady Hokage. I am Hotaru Hamasaki and I would like to know the whereabouts of my team, Team 7," I said and she gasped. I looked up, my head tilted at her widened eyes.

"So you're Hotaru, huh?" she asked, looking down. I nodded slowly.

"Yes, I am...is something wrong?" I asked and she looked up.

"Before she died, Michi-" she started to say but I glared at her menacingly.

"I would rather you not talk about her," I mumbled and she frowned.

"Please let me finish speaking, thank you. Michi told me a lot about you, like the fact that you were training under her for a few months. I also understand that you were training to be a medical Ninja," she started and I sighed.

"That doesn't matter anymore. Why are you telling me this anyways?" I asked with a slightly annoyed tone.

"She asked me, as her closest friend, to protect you. With her last breath, she told me to protect you and to tell you that she loved you like her own daughter," she whispered. I looked down, my hands balling into fists.

Orochimaru...why'd you take her away? I looked up, a fake smile on my face.

"Your duty as Hokage is to protect the village, not me, but I appreciate the offer," I told her and she narrowed her eyes at me. She only sighed.

"Can you answer my previous question about my team though?" I asked impatiently.

"They're out on a mission to the Land of Tea and will be gone for a few days, maybe weeks. You won't be joining them," she told me and I gave her a confused look.

"Why can't I?"

"You're going to be training under me for the time being," she replied with a smirk. I shook my head.

"No thank you, I humbly decline your offer," I replied nervously. Her smile faltered.

"It's not an option, Hotaru. Unfortunately for you, Michi left me with a task that I will not fail to complete. If you won't let me protect you, at least let me teach you how to protect yourself," she said and I sighed.

"Fine," I mumbled reluctantly. She closed her eyes and gave a small, triumphant smile.

"Good. Right now, I have a lot of work to do as new Hokage, but I can train with you during my breaks. I'll have Shizune take over when the time comes. For now, if you don't mind, I'll send you on a few simple D-ranked missions so you stay in the village and are at my reach. Sound good?" she explained and I nodded.

"Yes, Lady Tsunade," I complied. She gave me my mission, so I bowed my head as a way of saying "goodbye" and exited the room. I completed the three D-ranked missions in approximately 2 hours. When I finished them, I reported back to Tsunade.

"Lady Hokage, I have finished my missions successfully," I reported, and she nodded.

"Good. Right about now is the time for my 'break' and Shizune will take over. Let's go," she said with a smirk. She opened a window behind her and waved her hand, gesturing for me to follow, before jumping out. I sweat-dropped at this action, but followed after her. Once I caught up to her and we were running side by side, she turned to face me.