Chapter 16

We were at the door of room 301, when Kakashi sensei stopped us.

"Glad you came, Sakura. For your sake, and the others," he said and I nodded. "Now, you can all formally register for the Chunin Exam."

"Why? What do you mean?" Sakura asked.

"You see, only groups of three are allowed to apply for, and take the exam. That's the way it's always been. That's why Hotaru was put on another team temporarily," he explained and my eyes widened. Uh oh.

"Temporarily?" the three asked and turned their heads to face me. Their glares penetrated through my soul, and I hid behind Tomoe and Jing.

"Heheh...yeah, temporary. That's what I had said," I laughed nervously. Naruto pointed at me accusingly.

"You liar! You aren't staying on that team! Are you even dating that Tomoe guy?" he yelled and Tomoe smirked.

"Of course she's dating me."

I glared at him, my poker face showing through.

"Tomoe, shut up, we're not dating and you know I'm not interested," I replied, making him anime fall. I don't know why, but it seemed as if relief came over Sasuke. Did he actually have feelings for me? I shook my head. Impossible.

"Anyways," Sakura said, getting back to Kakashi sensei who stared at us and sweatdropped. "Sensei, you said the decision to take the exam was up to the individual."

"That's right. I did."

"Was that a lie?" she asked. Kakashi turned his head.

"Sort of. It is an individual decision, but it affects all of you. I didn't tell you before, because I didn't want the other guys pressuring you. At the same time, I didn't want you feeling obliged to participate because of any feelings you might have for Sasuke or Naruto. I wanted you to come to a decision of your own free will," he explained.

"Wait a minute. Do you mean if the others had shown up, but I decided not to come with them-"

"It would've been the end of the line. If you hadn't come along, I couldn't have let the others in."

"But what about Hotaru? We have an extra member, so she could've replaced me."

"You know, I thought about that too, but then about what Kakashi has been trying to teach us; teamwork. I'm sure you know my temper isn't always under control and I let my emotions get in the way of my teamwork. Plus, Sakura, you keep the team together and in peace. They need you to succeed. That's why I asked Kakashi to place me on another team," I told Sakura and she blushed.

"I keep the team together?"

"Of course," I replied with a closed eyed smile.

"Well, it's a moot point. You're all here and for the right reasons. Sakura. Naruto. Sasuke. I'm proud of you. I couldn't ask for a better team. Good luck," he said with a closed eyed smile. I smiled sadly. I guess I've been forgotten, huh. He stepped aside from the door and let them in. Before I could walk in, he put a hand on my shoulder.

"Hotaru, I'm especially proud of you. You didn't have to tell Sakura that, but you did and it boosted her confidence. You were also willing to give up your comfort zone with your team to work with another you've never worked with before. Good luck, Hotaru," he said, and I smiled. A blush appeared on my face from feeling giddy and I nodded.

"I won't let you down, Kakashi sensei!"

Tomoe, Jing and I walked in, side by side, and looked around to see all the seats taken by ninja from other villages and even from our own.