Chapter 10

Just as I was removing the last needle that was penetrating inside Sasuke's body, more needles launched at us. Thankfully, my hair shielded the attack, surprising the boy. I turned to face him and stood up, not letting my guard down.

"Do you care about that boy, is that why you're fighting for him?" he asked and I looked down, not knowing how to answer him. Sasuke and Naruto were both unconscious, so my secret would be safe with this boy. I took a deep breath and looked back up at the masked shinobi.

"Yes. I care about him, he's my comrade and I will fight to protect both of them!" I yelled and held my kunai defensively.

"Hm...well, that admirable. You have a purpose and a reason to fight. You would be strong too, if I don't kill you," he said and I scowled.

"Fine, kekkei genkai vs kekkei genkai. Let's go!" I yelled and ran towards him at full force. He tried shooting me with more needles, but hair blocked it again. As I was about to plunge my kunai into him, he disappeared.

"Too slow," he muttered and appeared behind me, stabbing a needle into my neck. I fell to the ground and pulled out the thin piece of metal. I stood up, but yelled my neck in pain as it was bleeding quite a lot. I tried healing it, but the chakra loss was too much and I fell to the ground once again.

"Ugh...I refuse...to lose! I will protect my friends!" I yelled, surprising myself. I never thought I'd do so much for them. I closed myself after my parents' deaths, but now I'm even willing to die just to save them. My eyes suddenly flashed and I could see more than I could before. I tilted my head in confusion and realized it was my kekkei genkai. It was the Hoshigan, a visual prowess that was shaped like a star and could see chakra flow and movements, similar to the Sharingan. However, it also buffs my Star Style ninjutsu attacks, so unlocking it is extremely difficult, yet beneficial.

I smirked and stood up, adrenaline pumping through my veins. "There's no way you'll defeat me now," I said cockily, making the boy hold his guard up.

He charged at me with three needles in between his fingers. I made hand signs for star shuriken.

"Star Style: Star Shuriken Jutsu!" I yelled and launched my Jutsu. He countered it by throwing the needles at them.

"I wonder what's so special about those," he cackled sarcastically and I furrowed my eyebrows angrily.

Us my visual prowess, I could also control objects, including my star style shuriken. As he was charging at me, I made my shuriken attack from behind, stabbing him in the shoulder. I smirked as he grunted in pain and held his shoulder. At around that same time, Naruto woke up and his eyes widened at the sight of an unconscious Sasuke and saw me with a bleeding neck.

Although I had unlocked my Hoshigan, the blood loss would inevitably kill me or at least prevent me from fighting, so help would be extremely useful.

"S-Sasuke?" he whimpered and I grunted.

"Naruto! This guy did this to him, please, back me up while I heal him!" I practically screamed. I needed to help Sasuke now before both my and his time is up. He nodded, but something changed about him. His eyes were red, his whiskers were thicker, and he had fangs. Red chakra surrounded him and he gave off an evil aura.

"I'll kill you!" He yelled at the boy and charged at him. To my surprise, his attacks were much faster and definitely more effective. I took the opportunity to run over to Sasuke. I started performing medical ninjutsu, however the chakra was not green. Instead, it was a pastel blue, a color much paler than our usual chakra. I furrowed my eyebrows, but shrugged it off since it was healing Sasuke a lot quicker and more efficiently. I looked over when I heard a gasp.

"It's you!" Naruto breathed out and I furrowed my eyebrows. The boy's mask was broken in half on the ground and his face was revealed. His face was very feminine and beautiful. But that didn't answer why or how Naruto knew him.

"Naruto! How do you know him?" I shouted and he looked down.

"We met in the forest when I was training. I can't believe it's you!" he said, directing the answer mostly to the boy.

"I can't kill you..." he mumbled and my eyes widened.

"Naruto! Don't let that distract you! Please, kill him!" I yelled and he shook his head.

"Then I'll have to kill you. I'm sorry, boy," Haku, said and charged at Naruto with needles. Naruto blocked with a kunai, but an extremely loud chirping sound filled our ears. Haku's eyes widened and he suddenly disappeared. I scanned the area and what I found made my mouth hang open. Kakashi had a lightning style Jutsu and had stuck it through Haku's body. He had blocked the blow for Zabuza. I grimaced at the sight and tried to finish healing Sasuke.

As his body fell lifelessly to the ground, Gatō, the man that hired Zabuza and was controlling the Land of Waves, made his appearance. He smirked at the sight of Haku's dead body. He kicked his face and my jaw dropped. Naruto's eyes widened and he growled.

"Don't touch him! Zabuza, you're not going to let him do that, are you?" Naruto yelled and Zabuza scoffed.

"Like I care. He's dead now. Besides, he was merely a tool that obeyed my every command," he replied and Naruto was so upset, he was about to charge at him. Kakashi-sensei held him back, but that didn't stop him from yelling.

"Naruto, that's enough," he scolded but Naruto shook his head.

"No! He's treating him as if he was trash! You meant everything to him! He lived for you, he loved you! But you're going to let that stupid man treat him like that?" he screamed, his voice cracking. Zabuza looked down.

"You talk too much, kid," he mumbled, and you could tell he was crying. He ripped off his face mask and began killing Gatō and his men with just a kunai in his mouth. My eyes widened.

So this is what being a shinobi is like. I shuddered at the thought of killing someone, but I shook my head. Stop, Hotaru, don't think like that. It was your choice to become a shinobi, knowing you would have to kill.

I sighed as I looked down at Sasuke. His breathing was very slow, and he would've died if I had waited any longer to heal him. My eyes watered, making my vision blurry. His body was full of injuries and he was bleeding everywhere. He would of course heal, but I never wanted to see him like this again. I would have to become stronger to protect him. I let the tears trickle down my cheeks, but wiped them down quickly after. When I looked back, Zabuza was laying lifelessly next to Haku, holding his hand. It started snowing and I gave off a sad smile. They were together now.

My eyes widened when I saw Sakura run towards Sasuke, tears steaming down her face. She was sobbing quite loudly and she threw herself all over him, pushing me away.

"Stop, you're crushing him! You'll kill him!" I screamed, trying to make her get off, but she continued sobbing into his shoulder.

"Sakura...you're squashing me..." a soft, hoarse voice was heard, making my eyes become as large as the moon. Sakura got off of him, and smiled widely.

"You're okay!" she chirped and continued crying. I sighed in relief as I finished healing his last wounds. Sasuke stared at me wide eyed, probably because of my bleeding wound and new eyes. Once I finished fixing him, I gave him a weak smile. My head was pounding and my eyelids felt heavy.

"I was able to save you...I guess I'm not so weak after all," I mumbled before black spots filled my vision and I lost consciousness.