Chapter 24

Shikamaru lay on his back, looking up at the clouds. I sighed as he was paying no attention to the proctor and opponent next to him. He stared carelessly as his mind wandered, and I wondered if he was actually going to fight or not.

At one point, he smirked and Temari growled at him. She used her fan to attack him, but he threw two kunai on the wall and stood on them. She used the same Jutsu again, but he jumped towards the wall shadow. While the smoke of her attack cleared, a thin shadow made its way towards her.

She jumped back, avoiding the attack, until Shikamaru's shadow was at its limit and couldn't reach her. Tamari drew a line with her fan and smirked triumphantly. Shikamaru unexpectedly closed his eyes and put his hands together, making some sort of hand sign. I smirked at this.

During the two or so times we played Shogi together, he did that hand sign once. I was confused as to why, but he later explained that it wasn't a Jutsu of any kind. Instead, it was more like a habit. It helped him think, and while he had this position, he was coming up with hundreds of strategies and moves in his mind.

When he opened his eyes, I smiled. He was done thinking, and it was finally time to strike. Temari seemed angry with Shikamaru as he was just standing there, so she used her Wind Scythe Jutsu. Shikamaru took of his jacket as he tried blocking the attack. I raised an eyebrow at his action, but trusted in his strategy. After all, he did have an IQ over 200.

He stretched out his shadow towards her, and she smirked as she stood at the line. However, a look of surprise overcame her features as the thin shadow continued past the line. She jumped back a meter and the shadow stopped. She smirked again.

"So as the sun goes down, the bigger the wall shadow is, which increases your reach," she thought out loud and I smirked. Right now, Shika clearly had the advantage. Everything was quiet as I noticed something floating in the air. I squinted my eyes to see better and saw his jacket tied with a kunai, which served as a parachute.

"Temari, above you!" Kankuro yelled out which made me glare at him.

"Shut up, kitty boy, and let them fight!" I scolded and continued watched as he glared at me.

"Why you-" Kankuro growled, but Gaara threatened him. I chose to ignore the two brothers and the weird relationship they had and continued watching.

Shikamaru used the parachute's shadow to extend his shadow even farther, however Temari kept jumping back until the shadow reached its limit, again. Temari put her fan up to shield her presence from Shikamaru and made hand signs for a Clone Jutsu. However, while she did this, she froze and I smirked.

Temari had her eyes widened as her body was completely frozen and Shikamaru explained how he had used the two holes from Naruto's battle to extend his shadow and trap her. I nodded approvingly at his cleverness and cheered.

"Nice one, Shika! I knew you'd do it!" I cheered and he scratched the back of his head sheepishly and mumbled "what a drag."

He walked forward, and in return, so did Temari. He raised his hand up and for a few seconds there was silence, waiting for Temari to withdraw, but Shikamaru caught us by surprise.

"Oh, to hell with it. I withdraw," he said and dropped his hand. Temari was wide eyed.

"W-what?" she stuttered and my eye twitched.

"I used all my chakra on my Shadow  Possession Jutsu, and I only have around 10 seconds left for this one. Sure, I had the next 200 moves planned out, but I'm out of chakra. Plus, continuing would be such a drag," Shikamaru explained and Genma smirked at his action.

"The winner is Temari," he said and I jumped down towards Shikamaru, grabbed his by the collar of his fishnet shirt, and glared at him dead in the eye.