Chapter 6

Once we arrived at Tazuna's home, we met his family; his daughter Tsunami and his grandson named Inari. He was very snappy, and Naruto was irritated by him. The little boy claimed we weren't real ninja and that we'd never be good enough.

"Why do you try so hard? You'll never be strong, no matter how hard you try. There will always be someone stronger than you and you'll die!" Inari shouted and before Naruto could start ranting, I abruptly stood up.

"What right do you have to be calling me weak? I will be strong, I won't be a burden, and I'll live forever!" I screamed at him, tears clouding my vision. With that, I left to the room where we were sleeping in. I heard Kakashi calling my name, but I ignored
it and crawled into my futon. I heard the door slide open and close. Knowing it was probably Sakura, I didn't turn around.

"Hotaru," an unexpected deep voice said my name. I sat up and faced the person.

"Sasuke?" I asked, my eyes widening.

"You overreacted."

I looked down and clenched my fists. "No, I didn't. He shouldn't have said something so wrong."

"He's not wrong. You are weak, you weren't strong enough for your parents, and you're a burden to our team. And there will always be someone stronger than you; me." he said and my eyes widened angrily.

"Why do you insist you're better than me, why won't you let me live in peace?!" I yelled and he scoffed.

"You were living in peace all by yourself, without your parents? You blame yourself for their deaths, and yet you were in peace?" he asked and I gritted my teeth.

"Don't test me!" I shouted and acting out of my anger, my hair freed itself from its bun and formed a spear.

"Hotaru, that's enough!" Kakashi yelled and my eyes softened. My hair returned to normal, as if it was like regular hair. Unexpectedly, I broke down, my breathing became heavy and I felt a growing anxiety. This feeling was familiar, I occasionally had panic attacks when I was alone. I almost killed my teammate, what was I doing?

"I-I'm- so-so- s-sor-ry." I was a stuttering mess and Kakashi ran over to me and called my name repeatedly until my breathing calmed down. Tears were silently streaming down my expressionless face endlessly. I looked over to to Sasuke who's eyes were widened. I laughed lightly.

"You're right, I am weak..." I mumbled and Kakashi furrowed his eyebrows. Sasuke tsked and looked away. Without saying a word, I stood up and left the room. I slumped over to the shore where I sat down and played with the sand.

"Hotaru," I heard Kakashi-sensei's voice call and I showed no reaction. "What was that about?" he asked and I continued playing with the sand as if I hadn't heard a word he had said. Hotaru, Hotaru, Hotaru, I heard it over and over again until I looked up at sensei.

"He called me weak, and said he would always be stronger than me," I replied and Kakashi raised an eyebrow.

"And that's why you almost killed him?"

I looked down. "He also said I'd always be a burden to others, just like I was to my parents..." I mumbled and brought my knees up to my chest.

"Your parents?" he asked and I nodded.

"My father died while on a mission-"

"That's not your fault."

"And my mother committed suicide a year later..." I sighed and buried my face in my knees. His eye widened but then his expression saddened and he looked down.

"My father committed suicide too." My head shot up in surprise and disbelief.

"Seriously?" I asked and he nodded. I looked down. "I'm sorry that happened to you, sensei. At least you're a strong ninja..." A hand landed on my head and ruffled my hair.

"You're going to be strong too, probably stronger than I am." I looked up with a hopeful look.

"Are you sure?" I asked and he gave me a closed eyed smile.

"I'm sure."

I stood up and brushed off the sand from my clothes. "Well, if I do want to get stronger, I'm going to have to train as hard as I can." I waved goodbye to Kakashi sensei and walked in the direction of the forest. I practiced a new jutsu related to my kekkei genkai until I felt so tired, I couldn't stand.

Damnit, I drained all my chakra. I can hardly move.

I grunted and lay there until my eyelids became heavy and I fell asleep.