Chapter 25: Birthday Special!

A/N: Hello everyone! So March 13, or today, is my birthday, so I decided to do a birthday special for Hotaru. Let's just say we have the same birthday because I never came up with a date for her. I hope you enjoy this little birthday celebration even though we're technically in the middle of the Chunin Exams with sad things and important battles happening.

This will take place before the Chunin Exams with Hiruzen Sarutobi, or the Third Hokage, still in it, but Team Gai will also be in it. It makes no sense chronologically, but let's pretend for today. I hope you enjoy! ^_^

I sat on the swing in front of the Academy, rocking back and forth slightly. It was a sunny day with a few clouds here and there, perfect weather for cloud watching. I was looking up at the sky in thought until I realized what time it was.

"9:30?! Crap, I'm super late!" I yelled and ran towards our usual meeting stop; the bridge. My eyes widened when I arrived. It was completely empty: Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, and Kakashi sensei were no where to be seen. I furrowed my eyebrows and ran to Lord Hokage's office.

I knocked on the door and was allowed to enter. To my surprise, my team wasn't there. I huffed in frustration and greeted Lord Third.

"Lord Hokage, do you know where my team is?" I asked and he puffed out a ring of smoke from his pipe.

"Yes, actually. I sent them on a mission about 25 minutes ago. Since you were late, they assumed you got sick and left without you," he explained and I sulked.

"Damnit...can you tell me where they are so I can catch up to them?" I asked and he smirked.

"I'm afraid not. You were late, so you won't go on any missions today. Go home," he replied and blew another ring of smoke. My jaw dropped and my eyebrow twitched.

"W-what? I have the day off?" I asked and he nodded. "...because I was late?" He nodded again and I blinked in response.

"Well...thanks Old Man!" I exclaimed, waved, and ran out his office. I was suspicious as to why he would let me take the day off, but I decided not to question it. I walked aimlessly throughout the village and ended up at the training grounds.

I felt chakra nearby, but they were definitely hiding. I furrowed my eyebrows and tried identifying the chakra. It wasn't familiar, which made my frown and activate my Hoshigan. I looked around and saw four people. I made a hand sign and shot out four needles out of my fingers. I purposely made them land right next each of the figures, making them jump down from where they were hiding.

I saw a strange sight. It was obviously a Genin team with their Jonin leader, but two of them looked identical. They wore hideous green jumpsuits with orange leg warmers. They had thick, bushy eyebrows, and bowl haircuts.

The other two seemed more normal, one was a girl wearing a pink shirt, blue ninja pants, had her brown hair tied in twin buns, and her eyes were brown.

The last one had long brown hair that was tied at the end, but he was clearly a guy. He wore a white jacket with brown shorts. He had bandages covering his limbs and his white eyes pierced through me. His eyes were activated and I glared at him. The Byakugan, so he's a Hyuga.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" I asked while in a defensive stance.

"We are fellow Leaf Shinobi. My name is Might Gai, and this is my team consisting of Neji Hyuga, Rock Lee, and TenTen," the Jonin leader introduced and I nodded.

"Okay but what were you doing here?" I asked and the one that looked identical to the Jonin held up a thumbs up.

"We were putting our youthfulness to work through training!" he responded and winked. I raised an eyebrow while the Hyuga, Neji, and the girl, TenTen, face palmed.