Chapter 57

The ray of the sun is hitting my face. My eyes slowly open, hurting a little from the brightness. I sit up on my elbow and look at the alarm on my nightstand. 7:30 AM.

"Jenna?" I call her name and turn my head to the side. The bed sheets are crinkled and clothes are wildly lying around. I throw myself back and rub my face with my warm hands. School begins in about half an hour and I feel like I haven't slept for days.

I put on a pair of Jenna's sweatpants and fluffy slippers, my mom recently bought me. Over my shivering body, I put a cashmere jumper and walk to the wardrobe. Suddenly my phone buzzes on my nightstand. I hop on my bed and take a look on the display.

Angel.

My heartbeat quickens, knowing that my angel Taylor is calling me at the moment.

"Hey," I try to sound annoyed or at least mad, but my subconscious is doing backflips.

"I'm right in front of your door," I look at the entrance as if I could see her through it.

"Wait," I say and hang up, jogging to the door. I take a deep breath before I open up.

There she is, looking effortlessly beautiful and angelic as ever, but her eyes are dull and a little reddened, as if she's been crying. Her lips aren't red as they usually are, only a coat of gloss is on them, making me want to taste the aroma with a kiss. But I have to stay resistent.

"So, you're here,"

"I know I seem weird lately, please forgive me, a lot is going on currently,"

"Why won't you tell me what exactly is going on?" I say with narrow eyes. "You can trust me Taylor,"

"I know. When does your class start?"

"In one hour and twenty-five minutes, why?" I raise a brow.

"Can I take you to a place?"

"Where?"

"Cassie, if I trust you, you should trust me," I roll my eyes and get dressed. I just picked out a simple and casual outfit, but Taylor Swift is looking elegant and formal as ever.

"Ready?" I nod hesitantly. Both of us get inside her car, which is driven by herself.

"I like this one too," she smiles at me resentfully, but her eyes seem empty.

"Would you tell me what happened?"

"Later," she assures and we fall into silence.

After about ten minutes, she pulls up in a sidewalk. I look around the area and recognize where we are.

"Trinity Church Cemetery," I read the sign. She is taking me to a cemetery? I don't say another word and watch her take out a beautiful big bouquet of white roses from the backseat.

We silently walk into the graveyard and walk for a couple minutes, my body tensing by the thought of corpses lying around here, until we stop at one of the graves. It's very beautiful and decorated with many white flowers. The tombstone is a grey marble and the words:

in memory of a beloved father, brother and husband Lionel Sebastian Swift, 5/3/1950-11/30/2013 is carved in calligraphy.

Today is October the 30th.

My heart breaks into thousand pieces as my eyes wander along the tombstone. A lump form in my throat and my gaze targets Taylor. She seems tense and fragile, but her face looks empty. I take one flower she picked from her bouquet to hand me. Slowly she bends down and neatly places the roses to the others, me doing the same. Her hands travel across the cold tombstone, releasing a choked breath.

"I miss you so much dad," she says with a very hurt tone. I just wanna hold her in my arms and hug her tightly. There are no words, I'm speechless. Taylor manages to get up, even if it wasn't very easy for her.

"We don't have to leave yet,"

"We have to," she says and walks to her car, I follow her. Both of us get in.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"You'll see," she responds with a monotone voice. I buckle my seatbelt and soon she races off.

We stop at a lone bridge, where the cold has already taken over. The water underneath us has pieces of ice glaciers floating around, while the grass is shimmering white.

Taylor gets out and I hesitantly follow her. My eyes observe what she is doing. She walks up to her trunk and takes out two big bags which she carries in both of her hands.

"What are you doing?" I question her with suspicion. With a sudden move, her body lunges, then she throws the two bags down into the dark water.

"What the hell?" I gasp. My eyes widen as I spot pieces of green paper floating.

"Is that money?"

"Two million," she takes a deep breath.

"Why on earth would you throw out your money like that?" I wanna know. "What about your organization?"

"I already donated,"

"And why are you doing... this?"

"To feel free,"

"From what?"

"Everything. I mean, it's just money," I gasp.

"Yeah, two million, just money," she goes to her car and takes out another bag.

"Taylor!" I yell, trying to prevent her from doing so, she flinches away.

"Taylor what the hell?"

"Let me do this. I have to,"

"What? Why? What's the matter?" Despite the fact, that it's the day of her father's death, there is also something else. I feel it.

"Taylor you're mad,"

"If being mad feels like this, I'd love to be mad forever," I frustratingly hold on to her shoulders, but she pushes me aside.

"You don't have to do this. Taylor, you're throwing away, everything you've earned,"

"It doesn't matter does it? It's not like it will belong to me anyway," she huffs.

"What do you mean?"

"Forget it Cassie. You won't get it. All you should think about is you're friend's wedding," I grab the handle of the bag and try to pull it towards me, but her strong grip is challenging. Out of the blue, I feel how a strong push overwhelms me. I fall into the dirty water.

For a few seconds, everything is black. The cold of the water almost shuts me down, but I somehow manage to pull myself on the surface.

"Cassie! Are you alright?!" Taylor yells. I almost hyperventilate, while I am trying to keep myself above water.

"Hold on," she says runs down the bridge. She gets inside the water and pulls me out. I gasp.

"I'm so sorry,"

"I-it's o-ok-kay," I stutter.