T H I R T H Y - S I X : The Dreams of the Damned

Chapter Thirty-Six: The Dreams of the Damned

---Jason---

Jason found himself in Chaos's Immortalization room. He was alone - for now. The room was lit from the brightly glowing gold floor as usual. The windows showed the same weird constellations as usual - constellations Jason could never remember the names of, and couldn't even try to pronounce properly. The names reminded him of the names of the Egyptian and Native American gods. Jason stood and watched the stars for a bit.

"Hello, Jason." Someone said behind him.

Jason spun around and found himself facing a familiar deity. "Chaos."

"Yes, it is I." Chaos confirmed sarcastically. "I heard your conversations earlier. And the letter. It's time I inform you of what is going on."

Jason straighten up. Stiffly, he said, "I think we know enough to get the gist. But please, fill in the blanks."

"It is true, what the letter said. About Order and I. And about me. You and all the other children of the big three were betrayed on my orders, so I could get access to you. You went from pawns of the gods to pawns for my game. Kaitlyn Winters has left for Order, and without the MM'ing she can't contact you. I have all I need, and so, unfortunately, I have no need of you and the other 'Warriors' of mine."

"Does that mean something then?" Jason asked. He was sure it meant something - they're no longer working for Chaos, he's retracting his blessing, something.

"It does. You and the others know too much, as Thalia mentioned. And so, I simply cannot let you all live."

"So, what? Are you just going to kill us? Just like that? I thought you were, 'a lot of things, but not a murderer'?"

"HA!" You believe that. You were a fool to believe that. Of course I've killed people, I-"

"I know you've killed people. None of us doubt that. There is a difference between killing for the sake of the universe and murdering. You said you weren't a murderer. If you kill me and the others now, you are definitely a murderer."

"If I let you live, then I know you will betray me. I know you will go to Order and give her information on me. It is simply an act of war. Leaving you all alive is asking for my defeat."

Jason said nothing. He knew it was true. He wished he could say goodbye though. He wasn't quite sure where his spirit would go now - the underworld was only on Earth. He wasn't entirely sure about what else was out there. He sighed, and closed his eyes.

"Do you... accept defeat?" Chaos sounded surprised and confused.

"I know when I am facing an opponent I cannot beat." Jason knelt. "Promise me one thing?"

Chaos considered for a moment. "I suppose I can honor your last wish." Chaos sighed. "What is it then?"

Jason did not look up. He was going to ask for something, but then a better idea popped into his head. "When you win," Jason started, "And you are destroying the universe, do not destroy Earth. Leave my home planet alone."

There was a moment of silence. Then, Chaos spoke. "When. You said when. Do you believe that I will win?"

No. I believe an inflated ego will be your downfall. Jason thought. Out loud he said, "I have no doubt."

"Stand," Chaos commanded. Jason did.

Chaos was smiling, bright and happy. "I, Chaos, retract my blessing on the Warriors of Chaos who are on the planet Earth. May they lay dead in their beds, as if they were never blessed, before the hour is over."