Chapter Three

Brendan finally arrived, and when Becca saw him enter the alley, she ran over to greet him. His confused gaze swept across those of Captain Jack’s team, who were all huddled together whispering. Everyone had been talking for a least three or four hours, but no one realized it was getting so late.

            “Hey Brendan,” Becca smiled pleasantly at the member of the Torchwood Four team that always catered to everyone’s needs.

            He nodded and walked over to talk with Jeff. Becca walked over to Tori, dragging along the heavy bag.

            She knelt down in front of Tori and moved Tori’s head with her hand so she could get a good look at the wound. “It isn’t serious,” Becca thought, “but a little disinfectant would help…”

            As she worked, Becca felt as if someone was watching her. She turned and saw Owen staring at her from across the alleyway. When their eyes met, he quickly looked away. Becca returned to her work, trying not to think about it.

            When she was done, the two girls got up and walked over to Brendan and Jeff. Suddenly, Captain Jack broke away from both conversations and his loud voice seemed to echo through the alley, “So,” he brushed his gray coat back and put his hands in his pockets as he walked toward the group very casually, “S’pose we haven’t introduced ourselves properly… My name is Captain Jack Harkness, but you can call me Jack. This is Gwen Cooper, second in command.” He motioned toward the woman who had been pinning Jeff down. She had black silky hair, a slight gap between her front two teeth, and black Converse.

            Jack pointed to the man who had been holding Becca. “This is Owen Harper-”

            “Doctor Owen Harper!” Owen cut in.

            Jack ignored him, “Toshiko Sato, our tech-girl,” He motioned to the woman standing farther back then everyone else, “And lastly, Ianto Jones. Ianto cleans up for us and gets us around… Plus, he looks good in a suit.” Jack grinned and winked at Ianto.

          Ianto stepped in, “That’s harassment sir!”

          The man did look good in a suit… He was wearing one now, black, with a plain white shirt and a dark blue tie.

          Tori’s face was blank as she spoke, “I’m Tori Sparrow,” she cleared her throat, and looked at Jeff. “This is Jeff Nova, second in command.” Her eyes moved to Becca, “Then Rebecca Dove, she’s our doctor,” Becca smiled and waved as Tori continued, “Arianna Traveler. She’s our techie, but she’s very good with a gun, so er… watch your back. Ari’s operating the controls back at the van. And of course, let’s not forget about Brendan Warp. He cleans up after us, but he doesn’t look good in a suit… No offense man!” A burst of laughter came from Brendan, Jeff, Ari, and Becca.

          “Pleased to meet ‘cha.” Jack said, shaking everyone’s hand with a good grip.

          The groups broke apart and mingled together in the dark alley.

           Becca turned and spoke with Tori, “So, what happens now? I mean, the Weevil got away…”

            Becca trailed off and Tori looked off down the alley. “We’ll think of something…” She felt eyes watching her, so she turned to see Jack, alone, staring right at her.

          Becca noticed and leaned in close to Tori, “Why is he staring…?” Tori shrugged, and Becca said, “Maybe it’s an American-guy thing?”

            “You could say that…”

          The two girls looked over and saw Jack walking toward them, his large gray overcoat billowing out behind him. Becca looked at her feet, then across the clearing to where Owen was standing.

          She frowned at Owen as she realized he was staring too, but not as intently as Jack had. Their gazes locked for a moment and he quickly looked away.