Chapter Eleven

Tori knew she made a good choice with Rebecca. She knew her stuff well. Yet, she still had an empty feeling without Ty. She missed Tyler. She missed him a lot. But now wasn’t the time to think about him. She had more important things to think about.

        They arrived in Torchwood Three’s Hub. Tori stood in the entrance with Jeff and Brendan.  It wasn’t as good as Four’s old Hub, but it was decent enough. The only thing Tori really missed about the destroyed Hub was the three pterodactyls.

            In Three’s Hub, there were rooms off to the east and west of the central room where Tosh was currently typing things on her keyboard, a report, from the looks of it. Owen and Rebecca were down in a little pit, which was where Owen performed all his Doctor duties, autopsies mostly. Along the side of a wall was a big screen showing medical stats about Ari. There were stairs leading down to them.

        To the right side of the entrance, more stairs led to open rooms. Jeff and Brendan moved over to Rebecca and Owen while Tori went upstairs to see what lay ahead.

        Brendan and Jeff found Ari in her bloody clothes with Rebecca and Owen moving fast and fluently around her. The two were very worried about Ari. Not sure what to do, they observed the doctors. They worked as though they have worked with each other for years. They didn’t talk at all except for the little mumbles of asking if one could pass something to the other.

        Jeff wasn’t exactly in the little pit where Rebecca and Owen were, neither was Brendan. Jeff was above the pit, leaning on the railing while Brendan was sitting on the steps. Their eyes were both filled with mixed emotions.

        Tori climbed the steps leading up and found an open area filled with file cabinets and papers. She walked through the file room quietly to find Jack in the next room at a peak that came out like a balcony with windows - each window had the Torchwood logo placed on it. Jack was looking down at everything going on.

        Tori walked over and stood next to him. Focused on what was going on downstairs, Jack looked at her for just a moment before gazing back down, “Hey.”

        Tori played with her fingers and tried to make conversation, “How do you think she’s doing?” she asked, dipping her head toward Ari.

        Suddenly, Jack turned to her, “That bullet missed you by inches. Maybe less.”

       Tori clenched her jaw and looked at her feet, “I know…I wish it was me instead of Ari,” she looked at Ari, pain filling her gaze.

        “Don’t say that.” Jack whispered.

        Tori looked down again.

        Jack pulled her close, “Do you know of anyone who would want to kill you?” Jack asked.

        Tori laughed weakly, “You seriously wanna go there?”

        Jack smiled and the two watched Owen and Becca fly around Ari. They tossed things at each other, but they still didn’t speak. Both Becca and Owen only cracked a smile once when Jeff and Brendan made a joke and they over-heard it.

        After a few hours, they had sewn Ari up and had her attached to an IV. They set their tools down, ripped their gloves off and high-fived each other.

        Tori and Jack glanced at each other and then ran over to Jeff, Brendan, Owen, and Becca.

        “Is she gonna be OK?” Tori asked anxiously, sliding down the railing with Jack closely behind.

        Becca nodded, wiping her hands on her completely bloodstained shirt. Owen had thrown on another shirt as they had come in, and then thrown his white coat on over it. Becca’s shirt was covered in her blood, the Weevil’s blood, and now large amounts of Arianna’s.

        Becca ran her hands threw her hair, “She should be fine. Owen and I retrieved the bullet—”

        Owen cut in, “Thankfully it missed most of her vital organs."

        Becca snorted and continued, “Yes, well the poison is controlled, but the next twenty-four hours are crucial. If anyone notices anything wrong with Ari you must tell either Owen or me.”

        Tori looked relieved, “Fantastic!” Tori pulled Becca into a hug and then punched Owen playfully.

        Jack smiled too and put a hand on Tori’s shoulder, “Great job guys, now I think it’s time for of us to go home.”

        Owen and Becca exchanged a look, and then whispered quietly to each other.

        Jack looked confused, “Something wrong?”

        Becca nodded, “Yes, we’ve decided that at least two of us will need to spend the night with Ari, possibly switching shifts halfway through the night to make sure we can do something if her condition changes.”

        Jack put one hand on his hip and ran the other through his hair, “OK, well who’s gonna stay here?”

        “I will,” Becca stepped forward.

        Owen shook his head, “I don’t think so, I’ll stay.”

        Tori rolled her eyes, “No, both of you need sleep and I will make sure you get it,” she eyed Becca, and Becca gave Tori a look of pure defiance.

        Jack nodded in agreement, “She’s right. Tori and I will stay and if anything happens we’ll call you both.”

        Becca and Owen nodded in disappointment, but everyone around could see the sleepiness in their eyes.

        Gwen and Tosh wandered over interested in the conversation.

        Tori looked around, “Gwen and Jeff, you guys up for the second shift?”

        Gwen and Jeff looked at each other and nodded.

        “Well then,” grinned Jack, “Sleep well everyone. Good work today!”

(A/N- The picture is Amanda Seyfried, who's portraying "Arianna Traveler")