Chapter Six

Becca blinked open her eyes and found herself in a dark alleyway. She tried to remember why she was sitting up against a wall, and why she was covered in blood.

             Then it all came back: Weevil. Scream. Flash. Bang. Boom. Lights out.

            She blinked, looked to her right, and saw Owen. She groaned and started looking herself over, trying to find the source of the blood staining her shirt.

            “You’re fine, most of the blood was the Weevil’s,” Owen said.

           Becca lifted up her shirt slightly and saw a long cut that had a piece of gauze covering it. Becca looked at Owen and raised her eyebrows. He looked at her and then at the wall in front of him, “And there was that…” Owen mumbled. Becca rolled her eyes and got up to check on Ari.

            “What’s wrong with her?” She asked, kneeling down to feel her forehead.

            “Nothing much, bumped her head attacking that Weevil.”

            That reminded Becca. She stood up and spun around, “Where—”

            Owen cut her off, “Taken care of.”

            Becca checked Ari’s pulse and then slumped down next to Owen. She stared straight ahead and fingered the silver chain necklace she wore everyday. It was always the same - a white Dove with outstretched wings.

            “What’s the story behind that?” Owen pointed toward the necklace. Becca just stared at him, not bothering to answer his question.

            “You’re lucky I didn’t shoot you,” she said.

            Owen’s tone was annoyed, “I’m lucky you didn’t shoot me? You’re lucky I decided to follow you! That Weevil would’ve torn you to shreds…” Owen trailed off, grumbling to himself.

            Becca opened her mouth to say that ‘she’d had it under control’, but truthfully, she hadn’t.

            “Why?”

           “Why what?” Owen sounded even more annoyed.

           “Why did you follow me?”

           “Oh, that…” Owen seemed almost embarrassed, “Well… um, I had to ask you something.”

            Becca frowned, “Well, ask me.”

            Owen thought for a moment, “What do you think of my shirt?”

            Becca furrowed her eyebrows, “Excuse me?”

            Owen said slowly, “I want to know your opinion of my shirt.”

              Becca threw her arms up and mumbled to herself. She stood up, “Owen! Stand up!”

            Owen looked confused, but he stood. His shirt was gray and covered in blood. Becca spoke in a snobbish tone, “Ugh! Those blood stains are so last year. Your look needs updating!” She flipped her hair and rolled her eyes.

            They both laughed, but it was cut short by a gasping Ari. Both Becca and Owen ran to her. “Where are we?” she said, looking around wildly. Becca went to answer, but realized she didn’t know.

            Owen answered, “I have no idea.”

            Becca stood up and looked around. She groaned inwardly and thought, “Oh! I’m so stupid! I should’ve been paying attention!” When Becca was finished scolding herself, she realized everything looked the same. It looked the same.

          “…Everything looks the same.”

          Owen rolled his eyes, “Thank you Captain Obvious! That’s the only thing I have been able to figure out.”

            Becca nodded, and tried walking away from the one end of the alley – which was a dead end – and walked toward the part where the alley branched out into different passages.

            “Becca, no!” Owen yelled, but she didn’t react quickly enough.

            She walked forward, and crashed into what felt like a solid wall. This sent a shock through her body, just like electricity striking a lightning rod. She hit the ground.

            “Oi!” Becca stood up and rubbed her head.

            Owen winced, “Yeah, may have forgotten to mention that…”

           Becca turned around to glare at Owen. Then, she heard the sound of voices calling her name.