Chapter Twenty-Three

Owen stormed out of Torchwood’s Hub and out into the parking lot. He fumbled with his hands to get his keys out of his pocket, but his hands were numb and shaky. Giving up, Owen shoved his hands in his pockets and walked head-first into the wind. He looked down as he walked along the water. He was fuming. How could Becca be angry? He saved her life!

            “OWEN!”

            Owen didn’t turn around, he knew who it was and he didn’t want to talk.

            “OWEN!” Tosh came up and grabbed Owen’s arm, stopping him.

            “What?” He growled.

          Tosh’s eyes were wide, it was almost as if she didn’t know what to say, like she hadn’t actually expected Owen to turn around, “Uh, I, I just wanted to make sure you were okay… The way you ran out, I, I thought a Weevil was chasing you or something.”

            Owen just shook his head, “No, I’m NOT fine.”

            “What-“

            “Tosh,” Owen snapped, “I don’t want to talk about it, just LEAVE ME ALONE.”

            Tosh stopped in her tracks and just stared away Owen as he walked away, a blank look on her face.

            A few hours later, Becca swung her feet over the side of the bed. She stretched and began debating whether or not to get up. She decided on yes, and the second her feet hit the floor, the power to Torchwood’s Hub went off.

            Going into a crouch, Becca looked around the room and waited for her eyes to adjust to the darkness that had overcome her, “What’s going on?” She thought to herself. Stars swirled in her eyes and she felt dizzy. She felt like she wanted to throw up. She recovered her composure after a moment, but remained frozen, afraid that there might be a breach and calling out would draw deadly attention to her.

            Jumping back onto her bed, Becca reached across and grabbed the gun she had hidden in the drawers of the bedside table. Getting up, she pushed the shades back and looked cautiously through the window. The lights were all out, but red over-head lights cast a ghastly, demonic glow over the central platform and the surrounding area.

            Taking a breath, Becca threw the door open and jumped out. She could see people running through the shadows, but she couldn’t tell who. Sticking close to the wall, Becca scanned the top floor for movement, but couldn’t see anything.

            Looking to her left, she saw Ianto. Hissing his name, Becca ran over to him.

            “Ianto! What’s going on?” she puffed. Ianto shook his head, fear sparkling in his eyes.

            “Well, where are Jack and Tori?”

            “I don’t know, the lights just went off… This has never happened be—”

            His eyes rolled back in his head and he fell to the ground.

            “Ianto!” Becca yelled. Becca bent down to help him, when she felt the barrel of a gun on the back of her head.

            “Slowly turn.” Someone said gruffly.

           Becca stood and began to turn, but halfway around she threw a roundhouse kick and knocked the gun out of her attacker’s hand.

            He was tall, with olive skin and dark brown hair. His arm was bent back by Becca’s kick, and he grabbed it in shock as his gun went flying across the main platform.

            Jumping up, she kicked him back in one swift movement, landing hard on her heels. Becca held her gun out in front of her. Apart from Jeff she had never really shot anyone, but she highly doubted she could kill someone… She just didn’t have the heart for it.

            Suddenly, sharp pains shot through Becca as someone kicked her in the side and sent her to the floor. Her gun went sliding away from her, and when she turned around her heart skipped a beat.

            There, in the shadows, staring down at her was Tyler. He smirked his evil smirk as he made eye contact with Becca. Her heart accelerated and her blood pressure spiked.

            “What do you want?” Becca said.

            Tyler didn’t answer her, he just laughed.

            As he laughed, Becca started to loose consciousness, a sweet smell choked out her senses. Fighting the sleep coming over her, she sat up and grabbed Tyler’s leg, but he slapped her across the face and she fell back, hitting her head on the hard concrete.