Chapter Four

Jack reached Becca and Tori. “Well hello.”

          Becca awkwardly waved at Jack and whispered in Tori’s ear, “I’ll leave you two alone…” Becca winked at Tori, and then looked at Jack and Tori together and nodded for a second before heading over to Brendan. “I’m gonna go to the car,” Becca smiled slightly, “Swap places with Ari.”

          “Want any help?” Brendan asked, reaching for the heavy bag. Becca shook her head, “I got it. Thanks for the offer…” Brendan turned and went back to listening to Jeff’s conversation with Gwen.

          Becca turned and strolled down the alley. A few moments later, “Ari?” she asked, touching one finger to the comms unit.

          “Yeah, Bex?” Ari asked back.

          “I’m goin’ in your direction, clean up, then get everyone to come back to the van,” Becca looked up at the black sky, “I don’t think they realize how late it is.”

          “Kay…” Ari said, “Going offline…”

          Becca nodded, “Dove out.”

          Ari’s line went dead.

        Rebecca unzipped her bag and tossed her earpiece in, then her eyes lingered on her black handgun. Shaking her head, Becca re-zipped her bag and went back to walking. She continued along, trying to understand where she was going. Everything looked the same. Red bricks… Trash bins… Rats… Nothing helpful to tell her if she had been here before.

          A soft noise barely came from behind her, and light footsteps followed. She kept looking right ahead, trying to make it seem like she hadn’t heard whoever was stalking her. The van was up ahead, if she could just get to it... She quickly turned to the right, dropped the bag by the SUV, and took off running in the opposite direction. The footsteps became louder.

           “Becca?” Becca heard Ari calling her, but Becca kept running. She veered left, then right again. She fumbled to turn her comms unit on, but then it hit her; she had left it the bag.

          Looking back, Becca saw a shadow figure gaining on her. She quickly turned a corner, and what was waiting for her almost gave her a heart attack on the spot.

          A Weevil. About six feet tall with pale skin and long, sharp fangs. It snarled at Becca, and she quickly backed up until she was against a wall. Ready to strike, the Weevil studied her. Her eyes widened, but another snarl stopped the Weevil. It turned away from Becca and looked at the shadow figure that had been following her. Another Weevil?

          Slowly, the figure walked into the light. It wasn’t a Weevil. It was Owen. He was crouching low, flaring his nostrils and curling his lip. The Weevil crouched low in return, but lowered its head and made a strange weeping sound.

          Becca started moving towards Owen. “What’s happening to it...?”

          Owen put a hand out, “Don’t move!” He said sternly.

            Becca did as she was told, but she saw Ari pass by. Ari froze and covered her mouth with her hand, “Oh my God!” Ari took a step, and Becca lurched forward.

          “Ari, no!” Becca put a hand out, and the Weevil got his chance. It made a move for Becca, and Ari screamed.

          Becca wasn’t sure what was happening, but all she heard was a gunshot, and dead weight crushing her.