Chapter Twenty-Eight

Angry tears streamed down Becca’s face as she made her way into the basement. She was determined to find Jeff and Ianto. Coming around a corner, Becca saw a short yet muscular man standing guard in front of a door. Clasped tightly in his hands was a 9mm Glock.

            Still sniffling, Becca shot the man in the leg then ran in and smacked him over the head with her handgun, promptly knocking him out. Then she dragged his body into one of the random rooms in the basement and then she ran back over to the door he was guarding. Taking a quick, steadying breath, Becca held her gun tightly in her hands. Sending up a silent prayer, Becca kicked the door open.

            Her jaw dropped, “IANTO?”

                                                                                  - - -

            Tori looked a Jack with a frown as he got up and dusted himself off, “What was that all about?”

            Jack just shook his head and held out a cellphone with a terribly cracked screen.

            “What’s that?” Tori asked in confusion.

            “Becca’s cellphone,” he tossed it at Tori and she caught in with one hand. Jack brushed past her and went straight up to Tosh. “Tosh, Ari, Brendan,” they all looked at him, “I need you to take Tori up to reception and turn only the main lights off. It will buy me a little more time if any of Tyler’s men made it through that explosion.”

            “What are you going to do?” Jeff asked, brow furrowed.

            Jack looked over his shoulder, “I’m gonna go find Becca, Jeff, and Ianto.”

         Brendan opened his mouth to speak, but Jack cut him off, “Just follow my orders,” Jack paused and then called over his shoulder as he ran off into the darkness, “Round up Gwen too will ‘ya? Don’t want her getting too trigger happy.”

                                                                                - - -

            Owen growled as he stepped out of the shower once again. Walking over to his pile of clothes he dug out his cellphone and looked at it. About five missed calls from Tori, seven missed calls from Tosh, and one new text message from Becca.

            Hands shaking, Owen opened it, “OWEN,” it read, “BREACH. GET YOUR FAT ASS OVER HERE.”

            Breach? Did he read that correctly? Yes; there was a breach in Torchwood. Stumbling over his partial drunkenness, Owen pulled his clothes on, and then froze. His car was still in Torchwood’s parking lot! He would have to walk all the way there! Gathering up all the strength he could muster, Owen threw open his door and began sprinting to Torchwood’s base.

                                                                                  - - -

            Tears streamed down Becca’s face as she surveyed the bloody scene before her. Ianto was on his knees, holding Jeff’s head in his hands. Dropping to the floor Becca ripped off Jeff’s black jacket and tossed it aside. She pressed her head to his bloody chest - no pulse. She sat up and checked for a pulse on his neck, but there was none. Tears flowing like crazy, Becca leaned her ear up against Jeff’s mouth - he wasn’t breathing. Jeff was dead.

            Ianto choked on his tears as he said, “I’m so sorry…”

          Becca sat up and sniffled, using her now bloody hands to wipe the tears out of her eyes, “It’s okay Ianto... you did everything you could.”