Chapter Seven

“Rebecca! Ari!” Tori shouted, searching the alley. Next to her, Jack shouted for Owen. Tosh seemed frantic as she searched, and Ianto looked to have an almost blank look. Jeff and Brendan had gone with Gwen to check a different direction.

          “Do you see anything?” Tori asked, craning her neck to check every possible spot for signs of life.

          Jack shook his head, “No, nothing…”

          Tori sighed and looked up. The sky was black; could it already be night? She doubted it, they had gotten here around four.

          Jeff came through on the comms, “We’re at the van, and there’s no one here. Do you want us to come back?”

          “Yeah… We haven’t found them, but they can’t be far…” Tori sighed again.

          Jack put a hand on her shoulder, “We’ll find them. Besides,” he said, trying to lighten the mood, “Owen’s with them!”

            Tori rolled her eyes, “Oh, yeah…that makes it better...” she said sarcastically.

            “Well, as long as he doesn’t get any ideas, Ari and Becca should be fine!” he said.

            The two of them chuckled as Gwen, Jeff, and Brendan came to the group.

            Tori slumped up against the red brick wall, and looked at the ground. Tori looked at the wall across from her. The bricks seemed to be set in the same pattern. Red, red, light red, light red, gray, and repeat. That couldn’t be a coincidence. She got up and walked over to the wall. She ran her hands over it, feeling for anything weird. The only weird thing was, there wasn’t anything weird. Every brick was perfect - there were no chips or scratches of any kind.

            Jack walked over, “What is it?”

            “The wall,” Tori replied.

            “What about the wall?” Jack asked and studied it, “It’s the same all around this place.”

            “Exactly,” she whispered, and took her hands off the wall.

            Stunned silence from Jack, then realization, “Oh you’re good… Brilliant.” Tori looked at him. The two of them placed their heads up against the wall.

          “Tori! Jack!” Tori reeled away from the wall as she heard someone frantically scream her name. She anxiously pressed her head up against the wall again. There was silence this time.

          “Did you hear that?” Tori asked, staring at Jack.

          Jack nodded.

          “Hear what?” asked Gwen.

          “The wall,” Jack said. Gwen looked confused and leaned up against the wall to listen. Jack turned to Tosh, but she ignored him and rushed to the wall as well, Jeff following.

          Ianto spoke, “They’re in the wall, aren’t they?”

          Jack shrugged, “I don’t know, but it’s definitely more than a wall.”

          Brendan and Ianto looked at each other, a devilish grin spreading over both their faces. Then, they bolted away from the group. Brendan ran towards the Torchwood Four car and hopped in. Ianto did the same, but with Torchwood Three’s car. They both pressed down on the gas. Just up ahead Jeff could now make out the van, so black it almost blended in with the shadows.