Chapter Twenty-Two

SEVEN DAYS LATER

            Nobody was quite sure what exactly what was wrong with her, but Becca was going insane. Once, she woke up and started going on about a frog, some licorice, and a condom. A few days ago, Tori even found her in the bathroom cutting her hair with Tori’s knife and singing a song that sounded like it was from the 1940’s.

            “I’m a little worried,” Tori had said to Jack.

            Jack had just smiled and shaken his head, “Don’t worry, Owen’ll take care of her.” Tori had raised her eyebrows, but Jack had lightly touched her arm, “I know you may not like him very much, hell, I don’t think anyone likes him very much, but he’s a good doctor. Becca will be fine.”

            Tori repeated those words as she went to check on Becca.

            “Bex?” Tori said, lightly opening the door.

            Becca was sitting up in her bed, looking in a mirror, gently touching her hair, “Come in,” she whispered almost inaudibly.

            As Tori walked in Becca set the mirror down, “Hey,” Becca smiled faintly, “How do you feel?”

            Tori shrugged casually, “Like I just got shot.”

           Becca nodded. Now her hair was just slightly longer than Gwen’s. It floated down just past her shoulders. It was jaggedly cut and the tips curled inward. Becca’s usually cheerful eyes were dull, and the smile that usually danced across her lips was gone.

            “…How are you feeling?” Tori asked.

            “Pretty good… Hey, Tori?”

            “Yeah, Bex?” Tori asked.

            “Could you go get Owen for me? I need to talk to him.”

            Tori nodded, turned on her heel, and walked out to track down Owen.

            Owen walked quietly into Becca’s room, and she smiled faintly, but it didn’t seem real.

            “How are you feeling?” Owen asked.

           Becca narrowed her eyes, “I’m feeling annoyed. I swear, if one more person asks me how I’m feeling I’m going to shred them.”

            Owen smiled, now that was the Becca he knew, “So… What did you need to talk to me about?”

            Becca looked down at her hands, “You… You shouldn’t have done it...”

            “Excuse me?” Owen asked, confused.

            Becca’s breathing became shaky, “You shouldn’t have tried making the trade…”

            Owen’s jaw dropped, “What? Becca, I saved your life.”

            “No, Owen,” Becca said, “Jack did.” she continued, “Jack stopped Tyler from taking Tori.”

            Owen was still confused, “Becca, what are you talking about?”

          Becca became frustrated, “If you had given Tori to Tyler, I would never have been able to forgive you, or myself… Especially if Tyler killed her, and you and me both know he would’ve. I wouldn’t have been able to handle the fact that I was alive, and she wasn’t, and that it was because of me.”

          “But you’re both alive.”

          “I don’t want you to make a risk like that ever again, Owen. I’m not worth it.”

            “You are worth it.”

            Becca’s gray eyes hardened, “Go.”

           Owen stood there.

          “I SAID GO, OWEN HARPER!”

          Owen exploded out of the room, heated up and Becca burst into tears.