Chapter Five

Tori watched Becca as she walked away, and then turned her attention to Jack. His eyes were hollow, like they were older than his face. Tori looked away.

          Jack smiled warmly, trying to make her more comfortable, “So what brings you lot to Cardiff?”    

          “Well…” Tori thought about how they had ended up here. The story was one she didn’t want to share, “It’s complicated.”

          “Oh, well, I’ve got time, and a brilliant mind!” He winked at her.

          Tori grinned, she collected her thoughts, and began, “As you know, we are Torchwood Four. We were originally based in Bristol. I was only in second command then. Things… happened… and the rest of my team was killed. Therefore, I needed to get out of Bristol so that Torchwood Four could continue. I decided Minnesota might be a good spot. There’s loads of forests there, which is good for cover. Eventually I decided that I wanted some British crew, so I flew back here, picked up a crew, and then headed back to Minnesota. That’s why everyone else has a British accent. As for Rebecca, our previous doctor was Tyler De La Garza.” Tori tried her best to keep her voice from shaking as she spoke his name. “Cybermen over-ran us… we escaped… but...” Tori’s tone darkened, along with her eyes. She looked up at Jack, and his expression was mixed. “Anyways,” she continued, “Government became a major problem. You wouldn’t believe what happened…”

          Tori paused for a moment and thought of Tyler. It had been his idea… Tori shook her head, driving the interfering thoughts from her mind, “We flew back here in search of a new doctor, and here we are.”

          "She’s holding something back.” Jack thought, “You can see it in her eyes.” But when he blinked, nothing was in Tori’s twinkling eyes except for the alley lights.

          After a little, Tori walked over to Brendan, “Where’s Rebecca?” she asked, looking around for her.

          “She said she was going to switch places with Ari. They both went offline a little while ago.”

          Tori glanced over at Jack who was talking with Tosh.

          “And Ari isn’t here yet?” Tori asked, slowly looking back at Brendan.

          Brendan shook his head, “No.”

          Jack, Ianto, and Tosh came over. Gwen and Jeff saw the gathering and joined in.

            “Alright,” said Jack, “Anyone seen Owen, Becca, or Ari?”

            Everyone shook their heads.

            Tori tapped her foot, “We should go out looking for them.”

            Tosh chimed in, “…I was talking to Owen and he said he had to ask Becca something, and then he just ran after her.”

            Jeff burst out laughing and Tori covered her smile with her hand and shook her head. “He’s in for it…” She said.

            Ianto was confused, as were Gwen, Jack, and Tosh, “What?” Ianto asked.

            Tori stared at him, holding back a smile, “Becca would’ve heard Owen coming.”

            They still looked confused, so Jeff added, “See, she shot Brendan because she said he was sneaking up behind her…”

            Brendan’s eye twitched as he remembered that, and replied, “She also punched Jeff in the gut and almost broke his arm.”

            Jeff glared at Brendan, “Oi!” He yelled. The two tried getting in each other’s faces.

            Tori separated the two, “Guys! Let’s be professionals here!” She turned back to Jack, Gwen, Tosh, and Ianto.

            “Let’s just hope she didn’t bring her gun…” Like an answer to her question, there was a loud scream, followed by a gunshot and a heavy thud.

            Everyone looked at each other, and simultaneously rushed into the maze of alleys.